Stocking tomorrow. Advice ASAP

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

cls8s

Aquarium Advice Activist
I cycled my tank with 3 damsels(I know, it's cruel...I didn't know about fishless cycling when I started). Anyway, I have a 37 gallon with about 20 lbs of live rock and 10lbs or so of live crushed coral. The biological filter seems pretty strong. The only fish in the tank right now is a false percula. I had a green clown goby but squirshed him =(.

Tomorrow's list:

1 Green clown goby (actually a nice gray/blue one I saw)
1 Cleaner shrimp
1 Royal Gramma
5lbs or so live rock

I'd like to get something else that will swim more in the open since the goby will be on the bottom and hiding a lot. I saw some sort of neon fish there last time, but can't recall the name. I know it's a lot to place in the tank at the beginning, but like I've said...I cycled it with 3 damsels and I've been overfeeding slightly to make sure the ammonia doesn't rise.

I think you should probaly wait and add fish slowly, I' am not an expert at this , but sounds like you may be rushing especially with a 37 gallon. Things can go wrong fast. But if you go with it good luck.

I have 1 fish in my 37 gallon tank. I know the shrimp won't add to the bio-load. Maybe just the gramma and goby tomorrow then? What would be good additions in the future?

I would just add one fish wait a couple weeks see how things go and then look into some members of a cleanup crew

Is it cycled? How long has it been since your cycle has started. If your tank is not fully cycled I am afraid you will keep losing fish.

If it is cycled though, I would recommend another clown to keep your other one company. The larger clown will become the female and you will see it assert its dominance overtime. They could possible even mate down the road.

You can look at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums for fish. It will tell you weather the fish is able to be kept with coral, temperament, and the difficulty of keeping the fish. That way you have an idea of what direction you want your tank to go in.

Let us know what you decide on.

My tank has been cycled about 4 days now.

I was under the assumption that the clowns needed to be paired upon buying or they would fight? I have no coral, just fish and LR.

Edit: And I'd have nothing to do with the fish assuming the fry survive and I'm afraid a 37 gallon would be too small for two of them since that would allow me approximately 2-3 more fish. If this small tank goes well I plan on getting a 150 gallon or so and will then get a pair.

You should be able to add a 2nd clown, you just want it to be larger or smaller than the existing one. Also, you don't need coral for any clown. I also wouldn't worry about any fry. Chances are your clean up crew would eat the eggs anyway unless you are set up to protect them.

I tried adding another clown with my current clown, it was only in there for a week but it fought with both clowns I added (not together), they both died (although I'm sure one loss was just a weak fish from the LFS)

Today got 5 blue leg hermits, a royal gramma, and a cleaner shrimp. They look so nice. They gramma is hiding, but I'm sure it will come out in a few days.

Edit: Fed for the clown I already have and the Gramma eats pieces that fall down to it. =D

You should be able to add a 2nd clown, you just want it to be larger or smaller than the existing one. Also, you don't need coral for any clown. I also wouldn't worry about any fry. Chances are your clean up crew would eat the eggs anyway unless you are set up to protect them.
A clownfish left solo will turn into a female. If you want to add a second one you need to go to the LFS and get a new small one, if they have 4 clowns and they are all small but one looks a little bigger and healthier... DON'T GET THE BIGGEST ONE!. As far as them mating you don't have to worry about the fry surviving. They are hard enough to keep even if you have a separate tank for them.

Yep, shrimp dead. The crabs and gramma are fine though. :S

I would not count the shrimp as dead yet... it may have just shed it's skin if it doesn't show in the next couple days then maybe you can make that statement. Generally when a shrimp enters a new tank it will shed it's skin and hide for a few days. Then it will shed it as it grows.

It's a 37 gallon tank with about 20 lbs of rock, not much room to hide. Anyway, it's body was upside down behind a rock with the "feelers" floating around in the water. DEAD =( Water parameters are all in check with nitrates less than 5ppm and salt at 1.024.

Back
Top Bottom