Stocking...Where to begin?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

logman17

Aquarium Advice Regular
Well, my tank is near the end of it's Cycle, with A TON of help from AA and all the people who asked questions before so people like me could do searches and find the answers.

Thanks All!!!

So my question is this:

I will be getting a cleanup crew for my tank this Friday. It will be somewhat small: 25 Scarlet Reef Hermits, 4 Abalone snails, a Brittle Star, Sand Sifting Star, and a Sea Cucumber. This should take care of Detrius and Algae for awhile.

I want to add corals and a few small fish.

What should I add first, a few clowns or gobies, OR a few corals, like the ones from this page... http://www.liveaquaria.com/product/prod_Display.cfm?pCatId=714
or should I add them at the same time?

I have all the requirements for corals: 47.5 gallon tank, 4+ watts PG of PC lighting, 20X + circulation, chiller, 67lbs live rock, 60lbs live sand, wavemakers, low nitrates (15-20) and no ammonia or nitrites, etc...

Does anyone have any advice on what would be best to add first?

TIA,

-Logan

Just dont stock too fast. Maybe add two small fishes, wait a few weeks or longer and add another. This will help the tank adjust and process the new bioload.

I added my clean up crew first, than some corals, and than fish. My first fish were added 4-5 months after the cycle.

Be careful with that cucumber. I had one and chickened out and gave it back. Seems as though they can poison the whole tank if disturbed or they die. They'll emit somthing that can wipeout a tank.

Then again, I've seen people say they are not a problem. Even one person (can't remember who) that said theirs died and created no problem at all.

Also not sure about the entire cleaning crew at one time. Hopepfully, there'll be enuf to eat. Besides, there'll be no detritus for a while either - assuming I've got my definitions right and it means fish waste.

Remember to start very slowly. Your tank will need a chance to catch up with the added bio-load. I would start with a pair of clowns and nothing else. Wait about 4 weeks before adding anything else. Just see how it goes. As for corals, once your water parameters have been stable to a few months go ahead and try some hardy corals like muchroms, zoos or polyps. Leathers will also be okay. The beginner pack from liveaquaria is a good deal until you figure in shipping. I have order several things from them and have not been happy with the corals I have recieved (my fish from them have been great.) You may be better off hand-picking yur corals locally. They can get beat up in transit. Good luck and have fun! Lando

austinsdad said:
Be careful with that cucumber. I had one and chickened out and gave it back. Seems as though they can poison the whole tank if disturbed or they die. They'll emit somthing that can wipeout a tank.

Then again, I've seen people say they are not a problem. Even one person (can't remember who) that said theirs died and created no problem at all.
Actually both are correct. It really depends on the size of the tank and species of cuke. Tigertail, black knobby and pink/black hawaiian (Holothuria sp. mainly) are fairly safe. I had a tigertail in my 90 gal for about 8ish years that just up and disappeared. No sign of it's death in the water quality dept. If this had been in a much smaller tank, I would be sure the circumstances would not have been the same. The other concern is if a female and it spawns, you can definately kiss the fishies bye bye. Tank size wouldn't matter much.

I would not any to a new tank though, not enough organics in the sandbed to support one and unstable water parameters, especially given the tank size.

Cheers
Steve

Did you correctly state Nitrates of 20ppm? This is higher than i would expect in a reef setup. Are you using bio filter media? If so, this may be the cause of your Nitrate buildup. Maybe your live rock wasn't cured? I would consider a good size water change to lower your Nitrates before you begin adding a bioload to the tank.

OK-

Check on the water change. I am going to do that this week.

I have had 7 black mollies in there during the cycle and my live rock was "pre-cured" from lr.com. Sand was alive (Arag-Alive I think) but only added a week ago (switched from CC)

I do have some ceramic rings in my can filter now. I am probably going to remove 1/3 of it before I put any fish in there.

No cucumber and only 2 percs for now til next month. I'll probably put some Zoo's in there then.

Thanks for all of the help,

-Logan

Back
Top Bottom