Stocking while cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Zactheninja

Aquarium Advice FINatic
What can I put in my pico aquarium while it's cycling?
I want some snails or hermit crabs just for fun...I need something I look at, help please?

Do yourself and the critters a favor and just wait for it to be cycled before adding anything

Ya anything will die. This hobby is about being patient. You need to die. Also, snails and hermits eat. And would have nothing to eat. Just wait.

crister13 said:
Ya anything will die. This hobby is about being patient. You need to die. Also, snails and hermits eat. And would have nothing to eat. Just wait.

OP needs to die?

OP, if you wait it out, you'll save tons of time energy and money from doing water changes daily. Which you definitely will neeed to do to keep whatever is in your tank alive. Google "fishless cycling " then compare to "fish in cycling " . Decide which Is for you, and carry on. Good luck!

OMG SRY AUTOCORRECT!!!!! I meant to say theyll die or you need to wait lolz. Sorry buddy HAHAHAHAHAHAHA. Good luck. Just wait it out.

If you forgo the expense of buying the critter, then you can use that money + some more money for a bottled bacteria product. Many people on this forum do not like it, but I actually like it. This is you can add your stock immediately, but you need to test daily and change the water as needed. This method is for people with little to no patience.

Best to wait out the cycle though ;)

Lol I have no patience...... I forced myself to wait haha. Actually......... I was told by the lfs to do a fish in cycle. Lol. I would wait now though.

The lfs just wanted your money. Doing a fish in cycle should be personal preference for someone who knows what they are doing. I've always done fish in cycles with freshwater and never lost a fish. For saltwater I say do it fish less. I'm impatient too so I know the feeling lol

Put pictures of the fish you want on the back of the tank, move them around once in awhile sounds stupid but it helps with the wait

These are inverts hes talking about, not fish. Yes likely they will all die. Your asking for many problems down the road if you cant muster up some patience. This whole hobby is a waiting game.

Many experienced reefers understand why its best to wait, and we often express this to no end, but the advice is usually ignored.

Also expect algae if your keeping your lights on during cycle for any liveatock. One of the facts that most dont think about. Nitrates and phosphates spike considerably during a cycle. Introduce light to the equation and you have an algae cocktail. And often its a pain to get control of.

Think about what would make you get so frustrated you would quit the hobby, usually out of control algae is at the top of the list.

So let me save you money and frustration when i advise you to wait.

Yes i know there inverts but that"s where it starts. Man those hermits are boring think i'll get some fish. Stupid fish died guess i'll get a few more lol

+1 "So let me save you money and frustration when i advise you to wait"

Back
Top Bottom