Strong Bacteria Colony

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

granzow1

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I'm attempting to start my first salt water tank. I am dosing ammonia to my bacteria in a fishless cycle. I have a unique situation in that I plan to grow shrimp to eat and plan to put 500 small shrimp in my 250 gallon tank all at once. I plan to heavily dose the tank with ammonia in order to build up my bacteria. I've sized the bio filter for the shrimp and I am working on simulating the planned feeding bioload with ammonia. I've seen recommendations that my tank is ready when the bacteria can digest 4ppm of ammonia in 6 hours. My question is once I've built up this massive colony of bacteria and add my shrimp how can I feed the bacteria once I have shrimp. The food wont break down for days and I'm doubtful that the shrimp will initially put off much ammonia, I don't want to starve my bacteria before the shrimp and food waste start producing large amounts of ammonia.

I had an idea to get about 10 gallons of fresh water and dose it to 8ppm ammonia, then add Seachem Prime to the fresh water to convert the ammonia into a non-toxic form that is readily removed by the tank's biofilter. Is this a good idea? Does anyone know of an effective way to feed the bacteria without harming the shrimp?

Feeding the shrimp will be enough. If you have 500 shrimp in there eating, the bacteria will be fine.

Back
Top Bottom