Stupid Question, but i am new!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

JonB

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
it's just a pump used to make flow in the tank. there are many styles and they are all different prices, but they essentially do the same thing- keep water moving in the tank.
you attach it to the glass and aim it in such a way so that water movement is maximized.

Thats what i thought but why does theres look completely different and ive read you need one on your sump?

Thats why i was confused.

Thanks again for the help. Jon

WOW, I can't believe how WRONG that video is on so many points. But, I don't see them use a power head anywhere in that vid except for mixing the saltwater.

As Doug said, it's just to move water around. Usually you use two or more (depending on tank size) pointed at each other or to create an X pattern. This gives you a random flow of water as you would find on a reef.

Now you also need to partial water changes every week. Using a small powerhead in a bucket, trash can, etc. is the best way to mix the salt with the RODI water. That is in addition to the PH in the tank.

Please allow 3 - 4 weeks between each fish addition to the tank to allow the biological filtration a chance to catch up to the increased bioload and stabilize.

Back
Top Bottom