Stupid Question - Do SW tanks smell???

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

badfish

Aquarium Advice Freak
I know this is a stupid question, but my fiance wants to know if our tank will smell? We went to the LFS and it smelled like a fish store, will our apartment smell like that? TIA

no. You wont smell anything unless you stick your head directly over the tank and only then if the water is being moved real well and your a few inches from the surface.

If you have a large tank the only thing you might notice is a slight increase in the mosture level of the air.

thanks guys, yeah i am currently cycling and left around 5 inches from the top so i can add my rock, when i opened the glass canopy lid i could notice the smell, but only when i opened the lid. Thanks again.

- Jeff

When my tank was cycling I could smell the rotting shrimp, but now I only occasionally get a whiff of the warm salt smell of the ocean, but I sit here at the computer about 1 foot from the tank, and the smells are rare.

Thats why you smell something your cycling your rock...
IT's dying off....
THATS the smell..
After your cure there's no smell...

Also if you are using your tops then a gas buildup will be inside and when you open the tops the air will escape and could bring a small odor. The smell your having is your cycle. For the record the only smell I get is when I am scraping algae during a cleaning and that is not bad. :wink:

The only time my 55 smelled was during the cycle with a couple dead shrimp in it. Kinda smelled like a salt marsh at low tide. After a few days it went away, no smells now.

--Liz

Back
Top Bottom