styrofoam under the tank?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

s10469

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I read somewhere on here you can put a sheet of 1 inch.thick styrofoam between your tank and the stand to help keep your tank level. Has anyone ever heard of this? I am trying to find info. about this.

Styrofoam won't level a tank if the stand is not leveled. It's mainly used in giving a tank cushion to imperfections in stands and gaps. Glass tanks built with the plastic edging provides support as not to need anything further, but acrylic tanks and those without could benefit.

I've heard of using weather stripping just to cushion the tank fram from the stand. The stand needs to be level to begin with.

I read it on here too and although are main tank is not on it, our display refugium is setting on it because of imperfections. I worked great! You can just see it in the bottom right of this pic.

Attachments

• P1010375.jpg
    P1010375.jpg
    119.5 KB · Views: 116
thats a nice refugium. It looks like pretty dense foam. Thanks for the info.

Shipping box carboard (corrugated) works perfectly for anything up to 55g.
I use an old piece of rug under my 150g to take up any slack.

I have a piece of 1/2 pink board under my 180 and under my 100 gal prop tank. The insulation board sits a 3/4" plywood too though. Not sure it does anything but I heard it could help so I added it :)

Definitely does not hurt

Back
Top Bottom