Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

BEANS

Aquarium Advice Activist
Ok Ive been asking alot of questions about skimmers, lighting, filter. Now for my substrate. At the moment I have about a 1/2 inch or less of "live sand" (that looks more like crushed coral, it is not a fine sand) that I bought in a dry bag off the shelf of a LFS. So I know that it isn't really live but I figured it would be better than using pool sand or w/e to get my tank started.

My question is can I get some pool filter sand from my LFS and put it over this "live" sand that looks more like CC and just mix it together? I Plan on having a yellow headed jawfish in my tank and I know they like to dig burrows so I want to kind of get the appropriate substrate he will enjoy the most.

thanks in advance

You can, but keep in mind the larger particles will shift to the top.....

K thanks, I was kind of hoping it would just all blend together in a healthy mixture and not turn into two layers. guess there is only one way to find out.

As Scott said the smaller particles will go to the bottom and the larger will be at the top. You can do it to see if it happens but some of us have already found out.

I agree that 200 watt will not be too much for that tank. That`s actually moderate lighting.

LOL!, Well there are two ways to find out....I found out by havinf CC and sand in my tank, the 2nd way could save you time....

K thanks, I was kind of hoping it would just all blend together in a healthy mixture and not turn into two layers. guess there is only one way to find out.

Let's just say that if you find a way to blend the two together and keep them blended, you've also found a way to defy the laws of physics! ;)

I believe you guys, it's not that I plan on defying physics :rolleyes:. The live sand that I was refering to is larger bits of sand, not real fine. So what I was meaning is it might not be large enough to all work its way to the top. Yes I know that if I take large rock or crushed coral and mix it with real fine sand it would do that but I was hoping since this is just a larger grain of sand and im mixing it with fine sand it will blend a little better. /shrug

:(

I thought there was a question about the lights too...maybe that was another post....hmmmm, (personal note, quit drinking the SW).
I think you should be ok mixing the two types of sand. I was thinking you were using CC.

K thanks for your help guys sorry if I wasnt clear on my substrate.

and there was a lighting question but it was a different thread of mine so he could have just read that then came to this thread and posted both here.

Back
Top Bottom