Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Sharkbait430

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok everyone, here's my first posting for my new tank. I have the Oceanic BioCube 29g tank and bought a 15lb bag of crushed coral/aragonite substrate. I also wanted to put some sand in there. Should I put livesand or just some aquarium sand, or should I put in any sand at all?

i would say what you should do is NOT put in crushed coral. It goes fine for a year or two then you have a bad nitrate problem and you can't figure out why. It's because the detritus gets trapped in the little holes and crevices of CC substrate. Get sand - your fish (especially wrasse kinds) will like it way better and it is better for your nitrates.

Use aragonite reef sand, i use caribsea fiji pink, loving it.

I agree with mandown123, don't use cc. Just use plain old dry aragonite. Don't buy live sand, Imo it's not live after sitting on a shelf for the better part of the year.

Same here, use dry argonite, it will turn live soon enough.

Also only use one substrate, I would still recommend argonite. If you mix them the CC will eventually rise to the top anyway.

All good points. live sand is a selling point. Regular aragonite is a much better option.

I agree, try getting CC out of a tank mixed with sand and we can compare war stories!

Well I have good news, reading everyone's postings regarding the CC and how I should get rid of it, when I got home last night, I said to myself let me just check the package of the substrate I bought and I did and it doesn't have CC! I for some reason thought it did but it doesn't, it's just pure aragonite and it says that it reduces nitrite levels so that makes me happy! :rolleyes:

I'm happy to. That's great news. I have read to many bad stories about tanks with CC or worst CC mixed with sand.

Back
Top Bottom