Substrate

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KaylNeko

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Hi folks.

I have been poring over the available aragonite substrates. I looked at Marco stuff, but wasn't a fan of it, regardless of how inexpensive it is. I'm currently liking Tropic Eden Reef flakes. Everyone I've seen who spent the little extra on it really seemed to like it.

Now, here's the question. I was planning on getting a mix of the reef flakes at 3 mm and the mini reef flakes at 2 mm. The stock list includes a Yellow Prawn Goby and Pistol Shrimp, so they will be tunneling, plus a jawfish and a starry blenny. Would it be beneficial to get a couple bags of the reef flake grand select size at 4.5 mm as well to add stability to the substrate for the tunnelers, or will it not make a difference/cause problems with the substrate dwellers for having pieces that are too big?

It's a 180g reef, aiming for a mostly 2" sandbed with a deeper area for the goby/shrimp.

Thats a great mix the diggers will use the larger pieces add some small shell pieces also

Sweet. And yep, broken shell pieces are in the to buy list. Thanks. ^.^

Back
Top Bottom