substrate for saltwater aquarium?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mr. FishMan

Aquarium Advice Freak
I'm setting up a 100 gallon fowlr/reef tank and am trying to find the best and easiest to clean substrate to use. I really want my tank to be as natural looking as possible but ive heard sand can be very difficult to clean. Is this true? Also I have a gravel vac so is there anyway to clean sand with one if I ended up getting the sand?

Live sand is the best choice I have live sand and I just siphon the top layer every time I see that I needs a cleaning usually 1 time a month

Play sand, live sand, pool filter sand will all work. Stay away from crushed coral ime/imo.

What is wrong with crushed coral? Actually, at my lfs that's what they suggest for saltwater use and I found some that's not as fine as sand and looks like it would be ok to use a gravel vac without sucking out all the substrate. I've checked out play sand and though its extremely affordable its not my 1st choice haha but thanks! oh, and what is pool filter sand?

What is wrong with crushed coral? Actually, at my lfs that's what they suggest for saltwater use and I found some that's not as fine as sand and looks like it would be ok to use a gravel vac without sucking out all the substrate. I've checked out play sand and though its extremely affordable its not my 1st choice haha but thanks! oh, and what is pool filter sand?

Its a matter of preference and what type of tank you want. Crushed coral is more porous and has too much surface area to accumulate diatoms and algae IMO. Sand is not hard to card for, and that's what I use in my setups. You may also consider what your stock will be and if there will be any burrowing fish/inverts. Some even go with a bare bottom tank, and no substrate.

Personally I prefer crushed coral. As an avid diver, crushed coral is more natural in a reef environment. Beaches in the Mayan Riveria and off the Australian GB Reef are almost entirely coral sand worn down from the actual reefs. Hawaii as well, although there are also many volcanic sand beaches there too.
Pool filter sand can be found at most hardware stores and is exactly what it sounds like.

Personally I prefer crushed coral. As an avid diver, crushed coral is more natural in a reef environment. Beaches in the Mayan Riveria and off the Australian GB Reef are almost entirely coral sand worn down from the actual reefs. Hawaii as well, although there are also many volcanic sand beaches there too.
Pool filter sand can be found at most hardware stores and is exactly what it sounds like.
you sure its not because the actual sand settles to the bottom and the larger granulars stay at the top. i've had this happen many times in my aquariums where i use a mix of large granulars and sugar fine sand and over time the sugarfine sand finds its way through the courser substrate to the bottom. in nature this wont have much of an effect on nutrient levels as the waste will eventually get consumed but in a glass box with only crushed coral or course substrate it will trap detritus in areas where worms and sand dwellers are not due to the oxygen rich areas, thus causing a nitrate spike in a small closed system. thus causing algae issues and livestock health issues. it is not the idle substrate to use in an aquarium and only makes sense if using an undergravel filter where the detritus can be sucked out and removed when the filter is cleaned

I have always used crushed coral sand and havent had issues. The sand becomes live and all the micro fauna stir it up. Also the addition of sand sifters helps alot, nassarius snails, conch, gobies.

I agree with GTI I wouldn't use crushed coral. I used it when I first set up my tank years ago and had nothing but problems with nitrate levels.

Either Tropic Eden Reef or mini flakes, or Caribsea Seaflor. Theyre the best. And dont worry about being natural. This is as natural as youre gonna get. And never use live sand. That can add pests to your tank that you dont want. Start with dead rock and dead sand. Dead rock is easier to aquascape, its cheaper, and you dont have to worry about introducing pests into your aquarium. Cycle your tank with Dr Tims One and Only Nitrifying Bacteria. Depending on the size make sure you add fish.

I just recently used 40 lbs of nature's ocean live sand for my 55 gal fowlr tank and it is amazing. Helped greatly with beneficial Bactria and cycling. The individual above who said do not use live sand is sadly mistaken.

I just recently used 40 lbs of nature's ocean live sand for my 55 gal fowlr tank and it is amazing. Helped greatly with beneficial Bactria and cycling. The individual above who said do not use live sand is sadly mistaken.
I agree I have about 60 pounds of live sand and I didn't have any problems. What kind of critters is he talking about. I'd say that there are alot of people on this forum that used live sand

I have 2 tanks. Used LS for both and had no bad hitchhikers. I actually like the bits of shells and things that come in the live Sand.
You can do barebottom. Sand is good too, not hard to clean at all. I just hold the vac slightly above the sand and it pulls up anything on the sand. Just don't dig the vac I to the sand. I e heard good and bad things about crushed coral. Have heard it helps with pH, but have also read that it doesn't do that. Not sure which is right. The crushed coral bits seem too big to me and that they would easily trap detritus, but again, I've never used it.

Just because YOU didnt have any problems doesnt mean someone else wont. Its a preventative action. I wouldnt start with anything live.

I also used live sand and had no issues. No matter how a person decides to go there is possible issues, it all depends on perspective. One might say that not getting the bristle worms and other CUC hitchhikers is an issue. Starting with a sterile tank is fine, as is starting one with all live rock and sand. It's a matter of choice and opinion. There is nothing WRONG with doing it either way. I personally got alot of micro organisms with my live sand (pods and stuff). I will however say that you do not want to reuse sand from another tank, that's bad news. If your going with live sand get it new from the store.

I don't know if you know what your talking about because thousands of people use live sand especially on this site and I've never heard a complaint from anyone about any problems.I think your misinformed about this.

Back
Top Bottom