suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

C4t4StRoPhIc

Aquarium Advice Activist
want to start adding coral sunday. what say you on first corals and what would be the appropriate ammount of coral to have in a 23 gal tank?

im getting a 75 gal tank this summer.

well, heres what the box says. one 65 watt true actinic 03 blue compact fluorescent lamp, one 65 watt 10,000K daylight compact fluorescent lamp, two 3/4 watt lunar blue-moon-glow LED lamps.

idk what all that means, but it came highly recommended....so...yah

How long has your tank been up and running and how are your water parameters? Its not a good idea to add coral if its a fairly new tank. You have plenty of light for most coral though.

i set it up christmas day. about a month i guess. what is considered, fairly new?

also, should i run the true actinic blue with the 10,000k daylight at the same time? it just looks alot better in there if i do, but will it eff anything up?

Im no expert but when I started i was told to wait 3-4mo before adding coral. Its just about water stability. Corals are sensitive to changes in your water chemistry. The experts can explain it better than I can. I'm sure they'll be chiming in soon. I may be way off.

oh yah. water parameters are all in check. i think ive been confusing alot of people by not having any nitrates......idk.

its good to have them all in check but they need a little bit of time to adjust. so like when you get your first few fish (not too many at once)((1-2)) the parameters will swing up and down, but later on when you can add stuff without worring about that. thats stable parameters. if you add corals then add other stuff your parameters will swing the same way and it could kill the coral.
Good luck!

Is it a Coralife light?...just curious :) You should be able to keep virtually any soft, lps, and some low-light sps. You can start off with mushrooms, green star polyps, favia, brain corals, zoanthids, etc. If you do the research then you can pretty much start with whatever coral you choose (I'd still check back here before purchasing if you are unsure). I would get a copy of Bornemans, 'Aquarium Corals' for beginning-intermediate coral enthusiasts.

yah, its a coralife light. really, i just wanted some mushrooms and feather dusters. u think i could get away with that?

Easily yes. But as mentioned before you go too far with coral, I'd foucs on the fish additions to. As you populate more and feed accordingly, things in the water could change.

Featherduster might be a good "water quality at a glance" tool. They seem to do well when the water is good IMO. Yes. mushrooms and feather dusters are good.

What's the plan on fish? 2 or 3?

Also, actinics for 8 or 9 hrs, and whites one shorter. In other words - my actinincs on at 1pm. They stay on all day and the whites on at 2pm. Whites off at 10 and actininc off at 11.

i plan on having about 4 when its all said and done. i think im going to take the CBB back on sunday and see if i cant trade him in for some clowns or something else. but idk. what could replace a CBB in terms of beauty and personality? i have three in there now, and when i take the CBB back, depending on what i get ill have either 3 or 4 fish.

As you can see from this article the coral banded butterflyfish requires at least a 50 gallon tank let alone 3 in a 23 gallon tank. To be honest I would not add corals to this tank. Because of the bioload too much of a chance of a crash. Once you get rid of them then mushrooms and yellow polyps will be good to start with.

OH! LOL. i dont have 3. i have one CBB, a Coral Beauty, and a Sweeper Goby. sorry for the misunderstanding.

i just got back from taking the CBB back. i traded him in for 2 clowns. a big one and a small one.

i suppose ill wait for a week or so then go and get a mushroom and a feather duster. that sound good?

Back
Top Bottom