Suggestions?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Salt4Us

Aquarium Advice FINatic
Ok, it's gotten ridiculous, we now have 3 tanks, 1 29 gallon reef, 1 5 gallon fish only and one empty 20 gallon high that is going in our room, the 5 is in our sons and the 29 gallon in the living room.

::sigh:: I knew this would happen. :lol:

Anyways the 20 high we haven't started yet, we decided to go the black tahitian sand which we ordered from Liveaquaria, our LFS doesn't carry it, he said "hi nitrate", after talking with Hara and seeing their beautiful tank we really want to set up a beautiful tank in our bedroom.

The suggestions I'd like from everyone is this, we were thinking of seahorses, now I know this isn't really the site for seahorses and I know of the other site.

We were thinking of after it cycles to order some from Oceanrider.com

Although we keep changing our minds about the seahorses, they are very expensive.

My questions: Would you go seahorses? What kind of plantlife would you go? If not seahorses what kind of fish would you go? (My husband wants a flame angel) What kind of rock, our other two tanks have live fuji rock, where we normally get it they normally just have fuji rock but now they also have tonga and one other kind that I can't remember.

My plans way down the way I really want some colorful corals, but first the hurry up and wait for everything to get just right.

Thanks for your suggestions!

I have a 43 gallon seahorse tank. Seahorses, in general, are not for the beginner. I say in general, because if you are a person that is obsessive about your tanks, you will be ok. They require near-perfect water parameters, are prone to seahorse specific problems, have stringent tank requirements that can be a challenge. Circulation of water, whithout strong current, without the production of any bubbles is the pretty big challenge. If you read on reefcentral, seahorse.org and syngnathid.org, you will find very current threads of people very disappointed in Ocean Rider. The biggest complaint being that they have gotten too big for their britches, customer service sucks and it is quite hard to get them to honor their guarantees.

I buy captive bred seahorses from one source only. That is marinedepotlive.com
They get their horses from saseahorses in australia. These people are known for their quality. I invite you to go to their site for alot of nice general information, including temp requirements which differ from species to species and also sizes and tank requirements.
http://www.saseahorse.com/seahorse.htm
hth...feel free to email me if you want to discuss this stuff further.

Cool, Thanks for the info on the Ocean Rider, they don't have much for sale either, I have checked out MarineDepotlive's site. We are constantly on our aquariums, probably why we've been on here so much especially under the identify forum always finding something else new in the tank. I would love to go seahorses but from I read they can be prone to problems which has made me decide off and on not to go that way, but I think it would be so great, we have 2 small boys and they love seeing all of what is going on and the learning for them is great. My oldest wants an eel, we don't have the room, plus I don't want to offend anyone but I can't see having one in a tank, it just doesn't seem enough room for them. JMO

If we go with Seahorses I plan on reading up on them more and will go with Marinedepotlive, being that they are only 10 to 20 minute drive from us, I still wish they'd let you pick it up yourself.

I think if it wasn't for this site we'd be lost, our main tank has turned out wonderfully, it is zeroed out on everything we had a slight problem with nitrate which only went up a little but now that we are getting a large amount of coraline it is going great!

Thanks so much for the help Hara, we'll keep in touch.

Kaurene

Oh boy, well we took back the 20 high, we hadn't done anything with it, we are waiting to build a stand first. So instead of a 20 high we got a 40 long!!!! :multi:

I am so excited! We are going to still do the black sand in it and now are leaning towards fish. Any suggestions on fish for a 40 long? We love the angels and I love to have a tang but I think it may still be too small for it. Now I know this is a long time away for fish, we still need to cycle and get everything right, but I want to have suggestions so that I can do some reading on the different types people would suggest, remember we will have black sand so we'd love something really colorful yet won't out grow our tank. Thanks!

Back
Top Bottom