suggestions on sump for 55 gallon

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Closetcanibal

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am considering upgrading my 20 gallon FOWLR tank to a 55. I am wanting input on the best setup for a sump. Basically im thinking of using my 20 tall for the sump and looking at a reef octopus skimmer. other then that im really in the dark as far as where the compartments should go, what biomedia i should use, and whether to to an overflow box or just drill it. Any sugestions would be greatly appreciated. Thanks in advance

The tall isnt a very good choice you'd be better off with a long but 20 gallons would be plenty but if you could find a 30 long that'd be perfect imo

Mrc8858 said:
The tall isnt a very good choice you'd be better off with a long but 20 gallons would be plenty but if you could find a 30 long that'd be perfect imo

Ok I can search CL for one. What type of media should I use? Should I use the overflow method or will that not deliver enough water to the sump?

The overflows gph is controlled by your return pumps gph..however much water is pumped into the tank will be drained from the tank but what are your plans for stocking this tank? Any coral? And are you wanting a refugium for macro algea and pod growth?

i think the 20 high would be fine. thats what i am using on my 72 with a reef octopus skimmer. check my build thread for pics. theres a link in my sig.

Mrc8858 said:
The overflows gph is controlled by your return pumps gph..however much water is pumped into the tank will be drained from the tank but what are your plans for stocking this tank? Any coral? And are you wanting a refugium for macro algea and pod growth?

I currently have a 20 FOWLR with 2 false Percs a bicolor blenny sand sifting sea star And then the CUC which right now is 2 hermits and a nice sized snail. I'm more looking to get an anemone for the clowns to home in but other then that nothing much. I'm not going to put anything else right now

So new development. My current tank stand is too short width wise to accommodate a 20 long or 20 wide it will fit a 10 gallon. What to do what to do?

I plan on using a 10g tank for my sump on a 60g cube tank. I can't even fit 24" inches under the 60g lol

I plan on having a decent sized skimmer and no refugium. If the skimmer stays under 15 X 10 inches or so it should all fit. i figure about 5 inches for the return pump, an inch or two for the baffle and whatever space is left over for the skimmer.

Here is a rough draft for my sump they are 2 10 gal tanks with a short 4 1/2 inch wide pipe between them

Attachments

• image-1038598035.png
    image-1038598035.png
    5.4 KB · Views: 105
Honestly man imo if your gonna do that much modding with 2 10gs your better off either buying a 20 long or just buying some acylic and do a fully custom setup

Mrc8858 said:
Honestly man imo if your gonna do that much modding with 2 10gs your better off either buying a 20 long or just buying some acylic and do a fully custom setup

Yeah but the problem isn't the modding it's getting it to fit in those crappy stands pressboard stands lol

Here's a picture of my 30 gallon if it helps. it's pretty standard. But if take out the fuge it would be about the same size as a 20 high. Do you plan on having an auto top off?

E-rock said:
Sorry here it is

That looks good. I'm at a bad spot now I was going to do a in tank overflow but I'm worried my 55 gallon tank has a tempered bottom. And I also think that I'm going to have to build my own stand.

You could always drill through the side. You can make a box or get a kit from glass-holes.com A good lfs will drill the tank for you fairly cheap and they could probably tell you it is tempered or not.

Here is the tank. It doesn't have any markings for a manufacturer on it.

Attachments

• image-2163337353.jpg
    image-2163337353.jpg
    36.8 KB · Views: 101
If I were you I would try the sides. As far as I know they are not tempered. And as for building a stand, if you have a miter saw and a drill it's not too bad depending on how fancy you want it

Back
Top Bottom