Sump?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Flake

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've recently decided to start setting up a reef tank slowly and have been researching before I go out and spend the money. I'm planning on a 60 gallon tank, starting with only live rock and slowly adding corals and hearty fish after a good while of cycling. The main problem i'm confused on now is the sump. I've seen so many different set ups that i'm not sure what would be the best to use. Initially I thought a sump was just a separate tank with a filer on it and a place to add chemicals. In researching i've found more than one divided tank stuffed with bioballs.

What do you use on your tanks? What do you think is the most beneficial sump to set up for a reef tank?

From what I have seen, a sump with live rock for biological filtration is the best way to go. (instead of "bio balls") I'm working on a sump for my tank (whenever I get the money to buy it..) and it's probably just going to be empty with a skimmer and heater and an external refugium in there somewhere.

I like to have my sump be divided into three sections. First is the refugum that has some macro growing and a little live rock. That flows into the center section that has my skimmer and heater and any other equipment you want. The last section is for the pump with a way of taking out the bubbles. I think that is better then bioballs.

Thanks for the ideas. There seem to be so many different options and everyone has a favorite so i'm a bit lost. I'll definitely look into those links. I haven't run across that one before. :]

I`m sorry to hear that. Melev must be wrong then LOL. I have my fuge first also. Mine has worked nicely like that.

It would make sense to put the fuge first, because the skimmer removes stuff that would be otherwise broken down in the fuge... right? -learning-

I dont know. I`ve personally known people that have had the fuge in the first section. I`ve know folks that have their fuge in the second section so it really just depends on personal preference. I want the fuge first so my grape calerpa can have a crack at it. Kind of like what you suggested. I`m not saying it must be first but dont say it cant be first. Good question Party.

Ideally shouldn't the fuge be the lowest and least turbulent flow area of the sump so that any macros have the chance for nitrate uptake? This is from Melev's site and is as basic as I can imagine it being sketched.

Attachments

• Melev.jpg
    Melev.jpg
    55.1 KB · Views: 53
Please don't get me wrong, I didn't say that the fuge couldn't be first. If it is last with the return in the middle or separate you can control the flow through it with a valve giving your macro algaes more time to work. IMO

My macro algae is in my first compartmen, my skimmer is #2, I have LR in all but the skimmer compartment and the return pump compartment. PO4=0, No2 & 3 = 0...

Back
Top Bottom