sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Darylb

Aquarium Advice Addict
is there anyway to run a sump without drilling the tank? i was thinking of setting up my 8gal as a sump on my 55gal bowfront. i was thinking of having a return pump in the main tank pumping the water to the sump then another return pump obviously larger pumping water back up to the DT would this work or would drilling and having an overflow be better

You will never get two pumps working in unison like that. The safest method is to use a drilled tank however there are hang on the back overflows you can use. You have to keep an eye on the hang on the back type because they can potentially fail and lose the siphon leading to an emptied refugium, floor full of water, and a burnt out pump.

Drilling or getting a hang on overflow would be your best bet. But I dont think it would be worth the extra effort and money to do a 8g sump. You would only have it half full maybe 3/4 at most, you would need room for the tank to drain to the overflow when power is cut. I found a nice 16g tall tank that I use on my 60g and it works well. Or you could wait for the petco $1 a gallon sale and get a 20g for like $20!

okay thanks guys might drill it thwn i wish i could do the dollar per gallon sale haha but sadly i live in australia and we dont have a petco

The only problem is the dimensions of the tank... You could do a rubbermaid tote underneath the tank for a larger sump though.

thanks for that i might look into the hang on back overflow will i still need to drill the sump?

Nope, no drilling needed if you go with a hang on overflow. :)

I have ALOT of tanks and the biggest regret I have is that I didnt drill my 125g. I waited over 3 years to finally get a larger tank that was drilled and am beyond pleased. That 125g is the only non drilled tank I own and I didnt realize how easy and simple it was until I got my first one drilled already.

It's really not a major deal and believe it or not its alot easier to maintain with no hang on overflow.I was scared to death before I took the plunge but it is definitely the best way to go. One less piece of equipment to clean and worry about.

that being said, if you still dont wanna go with the drilling the hang on will work almost as well.

my only problem is my tank is about 4 inches away from.the wall at the back and the two sides are blocked by a wall and a wardrobe if i were to drill the tank it would either have to be semi emptied or drilled from the inside i dont want glass shavings in my tank

aw okay if the return pump is say 3ft below the DT what size return pump should i look at getting it will be a 90 to another 90 straight up 3 ft or so then maybe a 45 back into the tank ill draw something quickly

so i thought about it it would be 90 out the back of stand then a 90 up the back of the tank then another 90 over the back and a 45 to point the flow down into the water any good or any other suggeations are welcome

ForumRunner_20131127_191547.jpg

Back
Top Bottom