Sump

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Ashley73

Aquarium Advice Freak
Any opinions on this sump for a 4ft saltwater FOWLR. Its for sale locally. Ive never had one and dont know a lot about them.

Sent from my SM-N915G using Aquarium Advice mobile app

This is it.

Attachments

• 1433049776912.jpg
    1433049776912.jpg
    40 KB · Views: 108
it's fine to use except it will do nothing to lower nitrates. This is a sump built for a fish only tank. The bio balls and drip tray above it will house a large amount of aerobic bacteria, which will do a very good job at converting ammonia to nitrite, to nitrate. It will be up to you to remove the nitrate with whatever means you choose.

Thanks.. what type would you recommend

It is possible to control nitrates with a few PWC'S a week maybe like 20%

Sent from my SM-T230NU using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Thanks.. what type would you recommend

It depends on what you want to achieve. Will this be a fish only tank or FOWLR? If so, this sump will work fine.
You can also take this sump and remove the bio balls and add some rock to that area instead. Live rock completes the nitrogen cycle.If so, I would replace the last partition with a taller one, to raise the water level a bit more. If this is fairly cheap, then that might be a good option.
If not, You could just make your own pretty easily out of a standard glass tank with some partitions glued in.

That'll work. Take that middle thing out and throw in Chaeto and a light, it will help, but its not quite big enough to handle a large tank.
You can control Nitrates doing weekly water changes, easily enough.
You can control Nitrates doing no water changes and Carbon Dosing, AKA- Vodka, Vinegar, Sugar Dosing.

Carbon dosing still needs you to remove nutrients. You'll need to still do water changes and have very effective components for nutrient removal, like a very effective skimmer. I would not suggest this method for someone new to the hobby.
You can't control nitrates in every tank with water changes. You could be doing hundreds of gallons a week, depending on what nutrients you are putting in and your bio load. There's a lot more to it than just guessing at what a 4' tank needs. It may not be cost effective and worth the labor. For a beginner (or even myself), I suggest fortifying the tank with lots of rock and the most effective nutrient removal methods.

What are the most effective nutrient removal methods in your opinion?

i'd say the number one method for removing nutrients is a good solid skimmer. thats the first step to getting some organic material removed with out a water change. I'm still a believer in large water changes on top of the skimmer. Alot will depend on feeding and stocking though. A tank full of big fish and no matter how many water changes you do I betcha would still have nitrate issues. Just my two cents, I'm sure Mr. X can more eloquently explain. :)

Effective, a skimmer thats rated well over your total water volume, say rated at or better than twice your volume.
Algae Turf Scrubber. If this is large enough, you don't need a skimmer.
Bottom line skimmer, and Vodka Dosing. I use a CoralifeSuper Skimmer 220, on my 240g tank, way under rated, but it works well enough for carbon dosing. Most who don't carbon dose, and just go off of what they read, have trouble understanding how well, and how easy it is to use. And how none complecated it is to you. Its not as dangerous as everyone makes it out to be also, it takes quite a bit more than anyone thinks to overdose a tank.

Thanks for all your replies guys and gals.

Yes, water changes are an excellent way to remove unwanted nutrients and replace trace elements, but think of it this way- say your nitrates are at 40. You do a 25% water change, which at best, will only bring it down to 30. Still haven't solved the problem, and if you haven't corrected the issue (overstocking, overfeeding, inadequate flow/detritus buildup...) they will just keep climbing.
Preventative measures are what I would recommend- picking the right fish and the right amount of fish for your system. Over-sizing your protein skimmer, and a regular water change regimen. A big enough filter for the bio load (live rock, possibly a large refugium or turf scrubber) is also very important.
What kind of water volume are we talking about total? is this 4' tank a 75? 90? 120?

200LT tank.

Cant connect skimmer as have a.moray eel.

What about using NO3: PO4-X ?

What does having an eel have to do with not being able to have a skimmer? All the more reason to have a skimmer.

I dont have a sump. The lids for the tank are to the corners and drillled for filtre pipes so moray cant escape.

Back
Top Bottom