Sump advice needed

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

FlopNewsom

Aquarium Advice Freak
We purchased a used 210 gal set-up with a 75 gal sump. From what I have read on this forum, I do not think the sump is set up in the best manner but I don't know enough about them to decide how to change it.The overflow runs through a trickle filter down to the rock and the skimmer is sitting in the same area that the LR is in. There is only two sections in the tank. In the picture you can see on the right that I'm having some slimy foam in the return pump area. I'm thinking that the LR should be after the skimmer and that I should put in an additional section or two? There is plenty of room.

Attachments

• DSC00808.jpg
    DSC00808.jpg
    241.5 KB · Views: 73
Typically you want your drain line to flow into the skimmer section but having it flow into a rubble rock tower is not a bad thing at all. Depending on what you plan for this tank you may want to consider doing a refugium section in the sump. There are many different ways to set a sump up and from the pic I dont see major issues. I would get rid of the foam though. That is not really gonna do much for you.

You could run into issues as far as the rubble rock creating nitrate issues. Might suggest a filter sock in its place to catch any detrius that falls down the overflow. The skimmer looks like its in a good place and the next section could be used as a fuge or if you wanted to go a little more advanced you could do a algae scrubber there.

Back
Top Bottom