Sump Info?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

o0synge0o

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I was pondering Sump design... Would it be ok to run the line from the overflow down to the sump, across your heaters and media/filtration(as applicable) and then from the sump, through a skimmer, and use the skimmer outlet/pump to return to the tank? Or should the overflow lead from the tank, to a skimmer, into the sump, across sump contents, and then a return pump leading back to the tank?

I also recall seeing/reading something somewhere about using LR rubble in the sump I think... would you use a DSB in addition the the LR, or just the LR by itself?

I've been reading around, but I can't seem to find anything that explains Sump dynamics/design very well(what should be where, what it should include, why it is designed the way it is, etc.) Found numerous DIY pages, but they mostly just show what the person made, nothing explaining what the purpose of each feature in their sump is.

Am I making sense to anyone here, or just asking a goofy question?

I was pondering Sump design... Would it be ok to run the line from the overflow down to the sump, across your heaters and media/filtration(as applicable) and then from the sump, through a skimmer, and use the skimmer outlet/pump to return to the tank?

You could do this, but the skimmer return would have to sit higher than the tank ;), that means the skimmer is either sitting on something, or it is one tall skimmer.

Or should the overflow lead from the tank, to a skimmer, into the sump, across sump contents, and then a return pump leading back to the tank?

This is the method that I prefer, I like the skimmer to receive the water first, it makes the skimmer more efficient.

I also recall seeing/reading something somewhere about using LR rubble in the sump I think... would you use a DSB in addition the the LR, or just the LR by itself?

Some use LR in their sump, most use it in a refugium, I would say the DSB is optional.

Back
Top Bottom