Sump or refugium

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
nothing, sump is a seperate tank but connected to the main display tank, a refugium is also, although you can have an in tank refugium they are just small

There is a difference, a sump is a way to hide equipment like skimmers, heaters, etc.

A refugium allows you to keep living organisms in it such as macroalgaes (for nutrient export outside of water changes) or other cool things like hitch hiker crabs, mantis shrimp, I've even seen one house Bongo shrimp

Granted you often see a fuge inside a sump, but there are such things as dedicated fuges, no sump

A sump is a tank that sits under the main display. The display overflows into the sump. The sump can be used in many different ways, one of which includes housing a refugium.

A refugium is any place that is protected from things in the display. It is usually used to grow macroalgae for nutrient export. In most setups it is in the sump, but may be a separate tank from the sump, a HOB, or even in the display itself (such as in a small plastic container in the display).

Yes, the refugium can also be used to protect display inhabitants from certain things that may be kept in the refugium. I have a mantis in mine, I know other people who keep things like puffers, large hermits, etc. in the fuge. But I guess this still protects them (from the wrath of the angry aquarist when tank inhabitants are harmed).

a refugium is still a sump, its a lower point in which water flows in and then is pumped back to its display tank, it also houses things that may not normally do well living in the main display tank, aka micro algaes and pods. you can still put your skimmer or heater there, and hide them from your view, granted you might want to use an HOB skimmer if its all refugium or section off a piece for the skimmer

tehre is a differnce between a trickle filter and a refugium but still both are still a sump if you think about it

Not necessarily, that is the point. A fuge can be HOB or in the tank in which case it is not a sump. A sump may not have a fuge. They are two different things. Yes, in most cases the fuge is in the sump (and may be the main part of it), but they are not the same.

Back
Top Bottom