Sump question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Gabecourter1979

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I was wondering what the key is to dialing in a skimmer in a sump. I have a three chamber sump aqua c urchin skimmer in one a refuigm in one and return pump in the other. What am I looking for as far as knowing it's right. Any suggestions would be great

You want a thick nice skimmate to be generated. You don't want it too watery but you also want it to skim something. lol It's a fine balance with adjusting. I usually adjust mine just the tiniest bit and leave it for a few hours and see what I get.

I will say my skimmer is filling with liquid pretty fast. It's a foam mucus with alot of water is this normal at first until it works itself out but this mean theirs a problem

its going to be like that because its your first time using it, also is the tank relatively new if so i would assume there isnt much livestock thus being the cause of a more watery liquid because there isnt as much for the skimmer to filter keep moving the settings around slowly and you will get it eventually.

Yes it is new I just turned system on yesterday. So I'll be patient just sucks cause I'm totally new to this and not sure what to expect your look for. And you are correct no livestock yet just sand water and rock. Thanks

Most skimmers take about 2 weeks to "break in" so you have a little ways to go yet before you will really see some action.

carey said:
Most skimmers take about 2 weeks to "break in" so you have a little ways to go yet before you will really see some action.

Thanks , by the way the help and advice you give to everyone is pretty cool of u . It's appreciated , I think the forum should put you on a houy wage :)

LOL wouldnt that be nice? It's all good, I love helping other people since I was so clueless myself at one point. :-D

hopefully you catch on super quick! alo
so welcome to the saltwater hobby!:)

Back
Top Bottom