sump vs refugium - which first

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Serpentman

Aquarium Advice Activist
I am almost finished with phase one (lights, skimmer, LR) of my setup. My next step as I have mentioned in another thread, is to add a refugium and a sump. Because of the weird shape (92g corner) I am believe I will be doing a HOB refugium and a 20H sump due to space restrictions.

I am looking to add the additional equipment over the next 2 months. In your opinion, which should have priority: Sump or refugium.

My gut says the refugium but I would like to hear additional opinions.

I would go with a sump first as it will add a greater volume of water to your whole system, it gives a place to put your unsightly things like heaters and skimmers as well as when you do water changes you don't have to disturb the DT. Thats my 2 cents worth. HTH.

I agree with doing a sump first. Not sure I do not agree with the more water volume than a fuge (if done right) but it makes a good place to hide heaters etc. Also great place for top off water, skimmer, etc.

You can also maximize your return flow to enable a greater net tank turnover with the sump, whereas the fuge needs a lower gph flow through it to fully achieve its goal and avoid disruption.

Go with the sump or incorporate a fuge inside the sump.

Back
Top Bottom