Sumps for dummies

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allisonzim28

Aquarium Advice Regular
I'm planning on a 29 gal soon and I'm tired of lugging a 5 gal water jug around and mixing water in a bucket... I heard a sump makes it easier to performed PWC but I can't get a grasp on the concept.. Can someone break it down for me?

Water from the DT follows a pipe down to the sump tank from there you have what type of filtration you want in it eg protein skimmer, Bioballs, gloss pads, Then you have a return pump. As for making it easier for water changes I dont know about that.

There are a couple ways it can be easier to do water changes with a sump. First, when dumping new water in, you don't need to worry about blowing sand all over the display tank. Also, if it's not the exact same temperature, you won't end up shocking your livestock, as the colder water will mix with the tank water as the sump pushes it into the display. Second, sumps are USUALLY located beneath the display tank. Most tank stands I have seen elevate the stand the about chest height, maybe shoulder height for shorter people. By having a sump, you don't need to lift those buckets as high, or pour them in so slowly.
But, it doesn't really address the issue of moving buckets around the house, or mixing salt water in buckets. One thing you could do is set up a five or ten gallon tank on a rolling cart that can be hidden in the closet for mixing. Toss in a strong powerhead and heater. When ready to do a water change, roll the cart out, fill the tank, roll it back out of sight, add salt, turn on pump and heater to mix and bring it up to temp. The next day, roll it out and pump the water into the display tank using the powerhead and some clear plastic tubing. I know, I know. I think of elaborate solutions.
Ultimately, the chore of transporting and mixing water never really goes away.

Python Products - Products

These will allow you to eliminate having to carry buckets. Building a sump gives other benefits though. If your main concern is with carrying buckets then investing in a Python might be your best bet.

Back
Top Bottom