Surface Slim

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jnaugle775

Aquarium Advice Newbie
Help I have a 75 gal tank. I have had it running about 6 weeks now. I have a brown slim on the surface. I have a tom aquatic rapid 3 filter setup with built in protein skimmer. How can I get rid of this surface slim.
Thanks Jamie

Try dragging a paper towel from one end to the other until you have it cornered, then roll the towel off the surface. The slime should stick to the towel. It may take several tries.

For a long term or permanant solution, have a surface skimmer.

There are various types that you can use. This is one that I use with my external filter. The surface slime or buildup is from too much organic waste. Use organic absorbers like activated carbon and protein skimmer to rid the organics.

OE1138_99.jpg

What kind of tank do you have? FOWLR? FO, reef? I have never seen or had this "slime" on the surface of my water.. How long have you had your tank up and running? Mines only been up 2 months.. so i just want to know if i will eventually get this or not..

redirect a powerhead to ripple the surface (or increase it). If it's organics then regardless of getting rid of the slime you should address why it's showing up to begin with. Overfeeding, quality of food, etc

Huh.. so basically the slime shouldn't be there in the first place. Alrighty then.

Typically your powerheads will break it up and keep it suspended in the water column for your skimmer/filter to extract. Usually oils associated with frozen, fresh or sometime flake food

For long term solution I use the one that Captain suggested. For the short term I have also used the suggestion ezy33 gave. Both will work.

Back
Top Bottom