SW Newbie With a Soon to be Set Up 25g Tank.

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Allivymar

Aquarium Advice Addict
Howdy folks :)

Wandering in from the FW forums where I'm usually found *grin*

I have a 25g tall that I'll be converting to SW. I've got my hardware list (sump, skimmer, etc) and am in the midst of reading The Conscientious Marine Aquarist by Fenner, but am having a bit of a time figuring out what I want to put in there. Don't want to set my hardware list in stone till I make a decision.

It will be FOWLR, no coral/anemone types in the plan (too small IMHO). I was thinking 2 clowns, but then I was also thinking seahorses instead. Then again, something unusual would be fun (I actually considered just a mantis shrimp, but I figured I'd rarely see it so kinda threw that idea out).

So I'm throwing the floor open to other suggestions. Any other fairly hardy fish (yeah I know seahorses aren't, but I'm fascinated with em) that would be appropriate for a small tank?

TIA :)

seahorses have very specific care requirements so they do best in a seahorse only tank. I will defur any seahorse care info to those who have kept them or to www.seahorses.org

I think a pair of clowns would be nice in there. Maybe a yellow goby aswell for the bottom of the tank. Maybe a few chromis if you dont ant clowns.

Yeah, I should clarify I'm not looking to mix seahorses with anything else. Its one of the types of tanks I'm considering (especially after seeing the seahorse exhibit at the NY Aquarium...wheeeee!). I can't see having more then 3 or so fish in the tank, no matter what species I go with (obviously no tangs, groupers or sharks; I'm talking smaller guys with less need for moving space ;) ).

I did briefly look at the gobies; why the yellow goby as a specific suggestion?

*grin* Thanx e-cat.

Whats a flame hawk btw? I'm familiar with the firefish...

Allivymar said:
*grin* Thanx e-cat.

Whats a flame hawk btw? I'm familiar with the firefish...
hawkfish.jpg

What a pretty baby! I did read they'll inhale crustaceans; does that include peppermint shrimp for example? I read they seem to be good tankmates for clowns; is that correct?

*edit*
Urk, just read they also enjoy snails...what would I do in terms of tank cleaning animals then?

Back
Top Bottom