Sw puffer fish--minimal tank size?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Endless Ocean in My House

Aquarium Advice Regular
I don't know how big of swimmers puffer fish are and right now I'm just deciding if I should bother considering even getting one--how small of a tank can I put a puffer fish in without being cruel?

I know you could do a green spotted puffer in a 29g. They are brackish, but from what I understand they can go full salt. My buddy has one in a 29g FOWLR. I don't know what size puffer your looking for but the GSP is one of the coolest fish I have ever interacted with. They are very smart as well as personable, also grow to about 6".

As this is the only puffer I know about, so I eagerly await others replies. I'm interested as well. :)

As far as I have read on them, mainly the dwarfs are the only ones who do not need a very large tank, both fahaka and Mbu puffers need very very large tanks (mainly the Mbu).

The GSP/F8's are often sold as fresh but actually require brackish to live full long lives.

I was actually gonna set up my 29 as a fowlr and try a GSP a while ago but decided to do mated cons :( but hey they help with the food costs on my bigger tanks. Haha.

If you want a small tank, then don't do any costly SW setups for a puffer. Do a figure 8 puffer tank in a low-end brackish 15g.

DP too small. Avocado puffer is an active freshwater, but they are not shaped a like a typical puffer. South American puffers need to be in groups and suited for tank of 75+ gallons. All other FW puffers are less active and lurkers by nature.

Avocado or Figure 8 tank is your only choice for a small tank.

Back
Top Bottom