t5 Combo question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

KantGetRite

Aquarium Advice Freak
If you replace the bulbs, you would want to switch to higher quality bulbs for coral growth. The more popular bulbs are made by ATI and Geisemann. When I ran them, I had a 4 bulb unit. I ran from the aquablue special, blue plus, and the purple bulb Geisemann runs...as I think the ATI purple plus is more pink than anything.

Thoughts on ordering these from Dr. Foster.

2 Coralife 10L
1 Super Purple giesemann
2 ATI Coral Plus
2 ATI Blue Plus

the company...i was advised to go with 2 10k and those are the best i found really...that or aquasun or aquaticlife... unless or have an alternative for the two 10k bulbs

I'd go with 1 coral + 2 blue + and the super purple or another b+ or c+ depending on how you like the look of the tank ( bluer or whiter)

Sent from my iPhone using Aquarium Advice

I think ATI makes that color of bulb as well...it might be called coral plus?
I didn't use a bulb with that color spectrum. Of the 4 bulbs I had one aquablue special, two blue +, and the super purple...I think.

I don't like the coral plus. Too pink to me. I don't like the purple lamps either. I prefer 2 ATI blue plus, and 2 ATI aquablue special. You don't need 10k lamps, and unless you have enough blue, your tank is going to look washed out. I like the aquablue specials for daylights. They are a nice, crisp white.

Oh..why did I think this was a 4 lamp fixture?
Anyway, I think you are going to be disappointed. What color temp do you like to view your tank in?

The truth is I don't know. When I look up bulb combinations they never have examples so I know which ones I like to duplicate. I want crisp and clear. The picture at the top of the link below I think is my favorite look.

http://howtocleanafishtank.net/aquarium-maintenance/crystal-clear-aquarium-water

That looks like 18k or so, and I don't think you are going to get this out of purple and pink lamps. You need more blue than your lineup has at the moment. I would at least double the blue plus. Get rid of a coral plus.

Ok, what about

4 ATI Blue Plus
1 ATI Purple Plus
1 Ge 6500k or ATI Aquablue Special

A guy (Grim Reefer) on Reef Central had this setup recommendation. Would this get me the 18k look then?

Go with the aquablue special over the 6500k- that lamp is just for extra par and you will have plenty with these ATI lamps. As far as the purple plus, I would rather the Korallen Zucht Fiji Purple, though personally, I think purple lamps do nothing for a tank aesthetically. I'd use a Coral plus instead of a purple lamp.

Well, you are going to have to put the blue lamps on one timer and the daylights on the other...they are controlled separately, right? It says in the description that leds and t5s are controlled separately. if all 6 lamps come on and go off at the same time, then just stagger the blues and whites.

Alright then. I would put the blues on one and the daylights on the other. It doesn't matter which. Any configurations of any high end lamps is going to give you basically the same growth, it's just the coloration that may differ. in the end it's entirely up to you, not me, nor Grim Reefer, who has to enjoy this tank.

Back
Top Bottom