t5 or halides?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

simon sid james

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
ok i have a t5 overhead lighting system which is good but im not 100 % with it.i am seriously concidering upgrading to metal halide lighting,although i work in aquatics im not that clued up on halide lighting,would it be more benaficial than t5 and would i get the much wanted light rippling effect u see on the natural reefs?,any advice will be helpfull

MH will give you the ripple effect as well as the raditation or UV closer to that of the Sun

First of all, do you have T5 or T5HO. There is a huge difference. In terms of the ripple effect, I believe there is research being done showing the same effect is created when you are using a well designed specular reflector behind the T5HO lamp.

Timbo, I am curious about the UV of MH being closer to the sun? I am not saying you are incorrect...I am just curious where you found that documentation?

It is on the side of the box.. Not so much the same as the sun, but it puts off UV enough that it will tan you. Actually burn you before that...It is a worning on the side of MH bulb sleeves..Also in Martin Moe Jr. Marine Aquarium Reference... It has also been pretty much proven on a large scale to mimic the sun as far as horticulture, as well as aquaria. That I believe is well, documented.

simon how many bulbs and are they in individual reflectors for the t-5 to work effectively they need to be set right the reflectors make all the difference..only place in usa to get a made for you fixture like that is skrenergy reef geek sells the reto kits.

The ripple effect is more a result of the MH haveing a POINT light souce vs a florecent tube being 1 long light source. If you have significant surface movement you can get some minor rippling effect with power compacts.

Any florecent is going to be less intense than MH lighting.

ok i have a overtank luminaire by arcadia,it has 2 marine white and 2 actinic t5ho tubes,its good and i do get a slight ripple effect but i hope to get better with mh,

I agree with you on one hand FishFreek

Any florecent is going to be less intense than MH lighting

That is true from a lamp to lamp standpoint, but I am not sure I agree with it from a lumanaire to lumunaire standpoint. Are you saying all MH fixtures will produce more light than any fluorescent? I am not sure I would agree with that either. Either way, this makes for a good discussion. I would like to try to provide as much objective data as I can on this topic, but ultimately what really matters is how the fixture performs with the tank and it's inhabitants. All the data in the world could say one thing on "white paper" but what really counts is the real world application.

T5HO is a new technology in the US. I do not think it will be the "end all" to aquarium lighting. There will always be specific situations where a MH is neccessary, however, it is worth educating yourself as much as possible before spending a large sum of money. When you purchase lighting there is more than just the costs of the fixture. You should also consider the lifetime costs of owning the fixture - (energy, lamp life, lamp costs, lumen depreciation, )

Again, any help I can provide regarding this subject I will do my best.

Back
Top Bottom