Taking the plunge...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
I think it looks great!!! You did a great job making caves a no cruces for the fish to hide! Don't worry about the 2 different colors of epoxy; in 6 months it'll all look the same. :) Great start! Keep us posted in your progress.

I think it looks great!!! You did a great job making caves a no cruces for the fish to hide! Don't worry about the 2 different colors of epoxy; in 6 months it'll all look the same. :) Great start! Keep us posted in your progress.

Thanks :) I think I'm going to have to get a 2nd light, but that is okay. I'm not sure in a tank this small that the height of the corals will make much difference. Any thoughts on that?

Here are my thoughts on possible stocking options, so far. I'm still very unsure about the corals (no experience) which is why there are only a few in the list.

Saltwater Aquarium Shrimps for Marine Reef Aquariums: Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Care Level: Easy
Temperament: Peaceful
Reef Compatible: Yes
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.023-1.025
Max. Size: 2"
Color Form: Red, White
Diet: Carnivore
Supplements: Calcium, Magnesium, Iodine, Trace Elements
Compatibility: View Chart
Origin: Indonesia, Sri Lanka
Family: Hippolytidae
Like other invertebrates, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. It also requires the drip-acclimation process when first introduced to your system. Also, proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp freeze dried, frozen, and flake foods.

Kelp on Rock, Grape
Kelp on Rock, Grape (Botryocladia sp.)
Care Level: Moderate
Lighting: Moderate to High
Waterflow: Medium
Color Form: Red
Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements, Iron
Origin: Indo-Pacific
Family: Grateloupiaceae
The proper environment for Grape Kelp is an aquarium with plenty of live rock, and has moderate to high illumination. Protection must be provided for this species against predation from herbivorous fish, as this is one of their favorite meals.

Mermaid's Fan Plant
Mermaid's Fan Plant (Udotea sp.)
Lighting: Moderate
Placement: Bottom
Color Form: Green
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Halimedaceae
The Mermaid's Fan plant, a green calcareous algae found throughout the Caribbean, is used as a decorative plant in the marine aquarium. These plants have short stems that grow out of the substrate or live rock. These plants form a fan like leaf that is oval to round in shape. They are calcareous algae that deposit limestone (calcium carbonate) in their tissues. The Mermaid's Fan plant is generally hardy in the right conditions, and few fish will feed on them. In addition to light, they require sufficient calcium to grow. They are not as tolerant of high nitrate or phosphate levels compared to some other algae. They also do not tolerate extensive pruning.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Red Striped Goby
Red Striped Goby (Trimma cana)
Minimum Tank Size: 10 gallons
Water Conditions: 72-78° F, dKH 8-12, pH 8.1-8.4, sg 1.020-1.025
Max. Size: 1"
Origin: Cebu
Family: Gobiidae
It should be kept in a 10-gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock for hiding and as a supplemental food source. Small groups, or pairs, tend to do better in an aquarium, but need to be introduced to the tank simultaneously. Do not house these gobies with larger, aggressive fish or invertebrates. The diet should consist of a variety of fresh or frozen seafood, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. It needs to be fed twice per day

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Stripe Clingfish
Yellow Stripe Clingfish (Diademichthys lineatus)
Care Level: Difficult
Color Form: Red, Tan, Yellow
Origin: Solomon Islands
Family: Gobiesocidae
A 10 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock and corals provide a suitable environment for the Yellow Stripe Clingfish. These fish also will live in close association with a long spine urchin or branching corals. The fish uses this association for both protection and for food. The Yellow Stripe Clingfish also preys upon parasitic bivalves that attack various species of corals. As a carnivore, the Yellow Stripe Clingfish will thrive on a diet of meaty foods such as finely chopped fresh or frozen marine fish, squid, mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and frozen carnivore preparations.

Buy Percula Clownfish Online | Vivid Aquariums
Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
Maximum Length: 3.1 in.
Family: Pomacentridae
Reef Compatibility: Excellent
Minimum Aquarium Size: 30 gal.
Range: Western Pacific
Diet: Omnivore
Water Conditions: 74-80� F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
As with most clownfish the Percula Clownfish is best kept singly unless a pair is introduced together. It may attack other clownfishes and nip at passive tank-mates who wonder near its host anemone or territory. Generally, it is a great fish for the reef aquarium and spends much of its time nestled peacefully in its anemone. The Percula Clownfish does not require a host anemone for survival; however it is a real treat for any hobbyist to observe the symbiotic relationship between the clownfish and its host anemone.

Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred
Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Max. Size: 3½"
Color Form: Black, Orange, White
Origin: Tank Bred - Africa, Tank Bred - Asia, Tank Bred - England, Tank Bred - USA
The Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish has other unique advantages over wild-caught species. For one, the Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish is very hardy and more accustomed to conditions found in home aquariums. Therefore, it makes a great choice for novices and seasoned aquarists alike. The Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish can also be kept with a variety of other tank-bred clownfish, if introduced into the aquarium at the same time.

Spotted Cardinalfish
Spotted Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Color Form: Green, White
Origin: Coral Sea, Fiji, Indo-Pacific
Family: Apogonidae
For the best care, the Spotted Cardinalfish should be kept in small schools in suitably sized aquariums of at least 30 gallons. Because the Spotted Cardinalfish is a slow and methodical swimmer, it should be housed with peaceful tankmates and offered a plethora of hiding places amongst rockwork or plants. Most Spotted Cardinalfish will tend to hide in sea grass or other plants. Some may also camouflage themselves against long spined sea urchins.

My suggestion would be to stick with easy care fish to start. The clingfish says difficult care level. I'm no clown expert, but I'm not sure if you can mix a percula and an oscellaris. Hopefully someone with more expertise in the matter will chime in. Oscellaris are usually better tempered from what I've read. :)

My suggestion would be to stick with easy care fish to start. The clingfish says difficult care level. I'm no clown expert, but I'm not sure if you can mix a percula and an oscellaris. Hopefully someone with more expertise in the matter will chime in. Oscellaris are usually better tempered from what I've read. :)

Oops, didn't see that Clingfish was difficult, off the list. :) I think I saw a little critter in the sand of the tank tonight. Was REALLY tiny. If it wasn't so small I would have thought it was a fish. The tank is converting ammonia quite fast however it doesn't seem to be converting nitrites to nitrates very much. Guess the BB are still growing.

I can't get a good read on the Ph, the colors on the API test sheet don't seem to match the colors I see in the test tube. The tube color is a dark-ish brown.

I bought and read Saltwater tanks for dummies, there are several ways to do a saltwater tank. There are beautiful soft coral tanks on YouTube with canister filter only.

SRC <><

Hi! I enjoyed watching you put your tank together, though, not the frustration that can come with mixed info. I have a question or two. I am a newbie. I have a 55g DT FOWLR and have now converted my 14g nano biocube into a mini reef. I have the prettiest pink xenia, and emerald crab and two snails, a little live rock, white substrate and some pretty, leafy Chaeto. What other kind of soft corals would live in there that aren't really expensive? Since I am new and have little experience, I want something easy that I won't kill. Ideas? I am open to them. Thanks, Lauri

Hi! I enjoyed watching you put your tank together, though, not the frustration that can come with mixed info. I have a question or two. I am a newbie. I have a 55g DT FOWLR and have now converted my 14g nano biocube into a mini reef. I have the prettiest pink xenia, and emerald crab and two snails, a little live rock, white substrate and some pretty, leafy Chaeto. What other kind of soft corals would live in there that aren't really expensive? Since I am new and have little experience, I want something easy that I won't kill. Ideas? I am open to them. Thanks, Lauri

Hi Lauri, unfortunately I don't know anything at this point, lol. Maybe some of the other folks in this thread will chime in. It will help me as well. I've been researching stocking possibilities at Aquarium Fish: Tropical Freshwater Fish and Saltwater Fish for Home Aquariums . You might check out

beginner corals

soft corals

Okay here is the latest update to my stocking research list. I still need to go through the corals and see what floats my boat.

(maybe wait on these because of the nitrate, parameters and iodine issues)
Saltwater Aquarium Shrimps for Marine Reef Aquariums: Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp
Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp (Lysmata amboinensis)
Origin: Indonesia, Sri Lanka
Family: Hippolytidae
Like other invertebrates, the Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp is intolerant of copper-based medications, high nitrate levels, and fluctuating water parameters. It also requires the drip-acclimation process when first introduced to your system. Also, proper iodine supplementation is necessary to promote molting and growth. To supplement their diet, feed Scarlet Skunk Cleaner Shrimp freeze dried, frozen, and flake foods.

(hmm, plant eating fish might kill this guy)
Kelp on Rock, Grape
Kelp on Rock, Grape (Botryocladia sp.)
Lighting: Moderate to High
Color Form: Red
Family: Grateloupiaceae
The proper environment for Grape Kelp is an aquarium with plenty of live rock, and has moderate to high illumination. Protection must be provided for this species against predation from herbivorous fish, as this is one of their favorite meals.

(this one is high on my list, plant wise)
Mermaid's Fan Plant
Mermaid's Fan Plant (Udotea sp.)
Lighting: Moderate
Placement: Bottom
Color Form: Green
Origin: Caribbean
Family: Halimedaceae
The Mermaid's Fan plant, a green calcareous algae found throughout the Caribbean, is used as a decorative plant in the marine aquarium. These plants have short stems that grow out of the substrate or live rock. These plants form a fan like leaf that is oval to round in shape. They are calcareous algae that deposit limestone

(calcium carbonate) in their tissues. The Mermaid's Fan plant is generally hardy in the right conditions, and few fish will feed on them. In addition to light, they require sufficient calcium to grow. They are not as tolerant of high nitrate or phosphate levels compared to some other algae. They also do not tolerate extensive pruning.

(hmm if I'm reading this right it will eat stuff from the rocks, not sure that would be a good thing)
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Red Striped Goby
Red Striped Goby (Trimma cana)
Max. Size: 1"
It should be kept in a 10-gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock for hiding and as a supplemental food source. Small groups, or pairs, tend to do better in an aquarium, but need to be introduced to the tank simultaneously. Do not house these gobies with larger, aggressive fish or invertebrates.
The diet should consist of a variety of fresh or frozen seafood, brine shrimp, and mysis shrimp. It needs to be fed twice per day

(this is off the list, care level is difficult)
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Yellow Stripe Clingfish
Yellow Stripe Clingfish (Diademichthys lineatus)
Care Level: Difficult
Color Form: Red, Tan, Yellow
Origin: Solomon Islands
Family: Gobiesocidae
A 10 gallon or larger aquarium with plenty of live rock and corals provide a suitable environment for the Yellow Stripe Clingfish. These fish also will live in close association with a long spine urchin or branching corals. The fish uses this association for both protection and for food. The Yellow Stripe Clingfish also preys upon parasitic bivalves that attack various species of corals. As a carnivore, the Yellow Stripe Clingfish will thrive on a diet of meaty foods such as finely chopped fresh or frozen marine fish, squid, mysis shrimp, vitamin-enriched brine shrimp, and frozen carnivore preparations.

(I would like a smaller version of this fish, should have anemone for it and should only have one)
Buy Percula Clownfish Online | Vivid Aquariums
Percula Clownfish (Amphiprion percula)
Maximum Length: 3.1 in.
Reef Compatibility: Excellent
Minimum Aquarium Size: 30 gal.
Range: Western Pacific
Water Conditions: 74-80� F; sg 1.020-1.025; pH 8.1-8.4
As with most clownfish the Percula Clownfish is best kept singly unless a pair is introduced together. It may attack other clownfishes and nip at passive tank-mates who wonder near its host anemone or territory. Generally, it is a great fish for the reef aquarium and spends much of its time nestled peacefully in its anemone. The Percula Clownfish does not require a host anemone for survival; however it is a real treat for any hobbyist to observe the symbiotic relationship between the clownfish and its host anemone.

(like these better than the above clown fish but still would rather have a smaller version, should get a pair)
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred
Ocellaris Clownfish, Tank Bred (Amphiprion ocellaris)
Minimum Tank Size: 20 gallons
Color Form: Black, Orange, White
Origin: Tank Bred - Africa, Tank Bred - Asia, Tank Bred - England, Tank Bred - USA
The Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish has other unique advantages over wild-caught species. For one, the Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish is very hardy and more accustomed to conditions found in home aquariums. Therefore, it makes a great choice for novices and seasoned aquarists alike. The Tank-Bred Ocellaris Clownfish can also be kept with a variety of other tank-bred clownfish, if introduced into the aquarium at the same time.

(my tank is only 29g, seems like these guys need a school so they are probably off the list, I love the look though)
Spotted Cardinalfish
Spotted Cardinalfish (Sphaeramia nematoptera)
Minimum Tank Size: 30 gallons
Color Form: Green, White
Origin: Coral Sea, Fiji, Indo-Pacific
Family: Apogonidae
For the best care, the Spotted Cardinalfish should be kept in small schools in suitably sized aquariums of at least 30 gallons. Because the Spotted Cardinalfish is a slow and methodical swimmer, it should be housed with peaceful tankmates and offered a plethora of hiding places amongst rockwork or plants. Most Spotted Cardinalfish will tend to hide in sea grass or other plants. Some may also camouflage themselves against long spined sea urchins.

(These guys are small and eat algea, top of the list)
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Tail Spot Blenny
Tail Spot Blenny (Ecsenius stigmatura)
Max. Size: 2½"
Color Form: Black, Blue, Orange, Yellow
Diet: Herbivore
Family: Blenniidae
Generally found amid crevices and rocks on the bottom of its environment, the Tail Spot Blenny needs a tank of at least 10 gallons with plenty of live rock for grazing, perching and hiding. They should not be housed with aggressive species that may intimidate these fish into hiding.The diet of the Tail Spot Blenny should include vegetable matter, including frozen and dried foods containing marine and blue-green algae. It will also feed on (and help control) algae growing in the aquarium.

(Like these guys, one or two would be great for the tank)
Saltwater Aquarium Fish for Marine Aquariums: Dracula Goby
Dracula Goby (Stonogobiops dracula)
Max. Size: 3"
Origin: Fiji, Maldives, Sri Lanka
Native to the relatively shallow reefs of the Maldives, wild specimens of the Dracula Goby inhabit open sand areas dotted with rubble near the base of reef structures. In the home aquarium, the Dracula Goby does best when housed in similar habitats. Like other Shrimp Gobies in the Gobiidae family, the Dracula Goby digs shallow burrows in sandy substrate and seldom strays far from its claimed territory. Instead, most prefer to perch on the sand just outside or hover in the water column directly above the burrow entrance. Feed these carnivores a varied diet of mysis shrimp and other frozen meaty foods, and suitable phytoplankton and flake foods. Most gobies do best when fed multiple small meals throughout the day. To best recreate natural feeding conditions, it is best to place the food in the outflow of a water pump or wavemaker so it actively disperses into the water column.

(love this but feeding requirements look daunting)
Saltwater Aquarium Inverts for Marine Reef Aquariums: Dwarf Colored Feather Duster
Dwarf Colored Feather Duster (Bispira sp.)
Max. Size: 4"
Color Form: Red, White, Yellow
Supplements: Calcium, Trace Elements
Family: Sabellidae
The Dwarf Colored Feather Duster is exquisite in both form and shape. Its fan-shaped radiole is a gorgeous pink, white, or yellow color that dresses any aquarium. Because it will grow only up to 4", this species of Bispira is suited for any sized aquarium. The Dwarf Colored Feather Duster is usually found in the coral rubble at the base of the reef, with some of the rubble being incorporated into its parchment-like tubes. It requires a well-established reef system since it is dependent upon floating plankton for its diet.

(Want one! Need to wait until the tank is well established though)
Saltwater Aquarium Crabs for Marine Reef Aquariums: Electric Orange Hermit Crab
Electric Orange Hermit Crab (Calcinus cf elegans)
Color Form: Blue, Orange, Tan
Origin: Hawaiian Islands
Family: Diogenidae
With its voracious appetite for algae, the Electric Orange Hermit Crab will help keep green hair algae and cyanobacteria levels diminished in the aquarium. As an added benefit, this species of Calcinus also helps aerate your aquarium substrate as it sifts through the sand in search of food sources. Many aquarists supply dried seaweed to keep hungry Electric Orange Hermit Crabs fed when algae levels are insufficient.

Question on feeding the fish, inverts and corals. If I go with live food or frozen or flake or a combo, how do you know how much to use? With my FW tanks it is obvious but I have no idea how to tell if I'm under/over feeding corals and inverts.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a penguin 250 and a whisper 70 running it. I have a 4 bulb T5 HO light.
I have
Mushrooms
Zoanthids
Kenya Trees
Hammer Coral
Duncan Coral

All alive and well using HOB filter system.

I have a 55 gallon tank with a penguin 250 and a whisper 70 running it. I have a 4 bulb T5 HO light.
I have
Mushrooms
Zoanthids
Kenya Trees
Hammer Coral
Duncan Coral

All alive and well using HOB filter system.

Thanks I will definitely take a look at those corals. :)

Okay, I just did a 4g PWC to see if I could get things leveled out a bit but my Nitrites are still off the charts, not the slightest change in the color. I'm wondering if I should do %50 WC. If I was cycling a FW tank I wouldn't touch it but this SW is making me nervous.

Okay, I just did a 4g PWC to see if I could get things leveled out a bit but my Nitrites are still off the charts, not the slightest change in the color. I'm wondering if I should do %50 WC. If I was cycling a FW tank I wouldn't touch it but this SW is making me nervous.

I just got done cycling a salt water tank. My nitrites spiked to over 5 I left it alone and let it come down on its own.

Well everyday I come home and hope that the nitrites will be gone and everyday they aren't :mad:

I wish those :bb::bb: would hurry up and grow. The other :bb: are converting ammonia like crazy. I could pee in the tank and it would be gone tomorrow. :cool:

Ok I don't know that it really worked but my ammonia was at 2 and nitrite at 0 I added a bottle of bio spira and the next day ammonia was gone nitrite at 5 and days later nitrite at 0 and nitrate was 20. Bio spa worked really good for me I added my first fish yesterday :)

Ok I don't know that it really worked but my ammonia was at 2 and nitrite at 0 I added a bottle of bio spira and the next day ammonia was gone nitrite at 5 and days later nitrite at 0 and nitrate was 20. Bio spa worked really good for me I added my first fish yesterday :)

Sweet I hope everything keeps going good for you. I think I'm going to keep waiting for a while. I've been through VERY short cycles and VERY long cycles. I just want to know I'm past the cycle phase.

What did you add for your first fish? Pics?

Everything going good just checked ammonia 0
Nitrite 0
Nitrate 20
Ph 8.2
I added 2 fancy occ clownfish
6 hermit crabs
6 astrea snails

ForumRunner_20130130_172033.jpg

ForumRunner_20130130_172048.jpg

Back
Top Bottom