Tank 1 redo/care

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helios

Aquarium Advice Activist
For those of you who have followed/helped me with the other tanks I've been trying to fix up I'm down to my last 2 tanks. I've decided to do them as separate posts because I'm guessing they will have different needs. Please keep in mind I've inherited both of these tanks in their current condition and know NOTHING about saltwater tanks.

Okay here is tank 1.

It'll need to have the salt scraped off and the glass cleaned. I should be able to do this with a scrubber like I did with the cichlid tank correct?

There is a lot of green algae on the sand and glass is this normal? I thought thatwas a freshwater issue. How do I get rid of it?

The stock is 1 clown fish, 2 yellow tail damsels, 1 four stripe damsel 1 six lined wrasse and a sea urchin. Does this sound okay? The fish hide like crazy. They are almost never out. Is this typical or what should I do to encourage them to come out?

Also what should I feed them? One of the students was feeding then regular fish food is this fine?

I included pics of the filtration system is there anything special I should know/do with it?

Also how much time should the light be on? Currently its on 24/7 because that's what the guy told me he always left it as.

Last thing. When I refill the tank how do I know how much salt I need to put in?

Sorry its so long. Thanks for any help.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394659252154.jpg
    1394659252154.jpg
    163.1 KB · Views: 78
  • 1394659289835.jpg
    1394659289835.jpg
    146.2 KB · Views: 65
  • 1394659306849.jpg
    1394659306849.jpg
    153.3 KB · Views: 83
Woah. It seems to be in pretty bad shape. I would drain the entire tank, buy new sand, A LOT more rock, transfer the stock to the LFS if they can hold it. Soak the tank in vinegar, rinse well.
Clean the protein skimmer... Probably get new lights... Fill it up with freshwater... Make sure everything works. Drain it again. Put rock then water then sand back in, re-cycle the tank, and get your stock back in.

yea i agree i would start that tank over from scratch clean everything and re-cycle it

Back
Top Bottom