Tank 2 redo

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Helios

Aquarium Advice Activist
Last one! What needs to happen to make this tank into something workable? I guess it was originally a saltwater invertebrate tank. There are currently some anemone looking things and some snails in it. I'd like to get fish for it when it's all said and done. Tank is 29 gallons. Thanks for the help and advice.

Sent from my SCH-I545 using Aquarium Advice mobile app

Attachments

• 1394745055337.jpg
    1394745055337.jpg
    165.9 KB · Views: 134
  • 1394745074961.jpg
    1394745074961.jpg
    111.8 KB · Views: 173
  • 1394745093900.jpg
    1394745093900.jpg
    167.5 KB · Views: 143
  • 1394745147814.jpg
    1394745147814.jpg
    144.1 KB · Views: 151
That tank is a mess. Whomever, didn't have a clue. Those anemones you see in the tank are pest anemones called aptasia. They spread very quickly and sting corals they touch. All that salt creep all over it is from that HOB filter and whatever that airline is connected to, making bubbles. Get rid of that air stone thing and get yourself a power head.
You will need more live rock also. I would start this tank from scratch. take out all the rock and scrub it off with a scrubbing brush. You could use a bic lighter on those anemones if they are out of water. You will have to take the snails back to your LFS to have them hold them, because this is not a one day fix. i would get about 20-30 pounds of dry rock and cycle the tank with the new rock.

I would also either toss the sand bed completely, or wash it out THOROUGHLY. If disturbed, I would imagine you would have a decent ammonia spike.

Thanks guys. Looks like both of the salt tanks are going to be a huge undertaking which I was hoping to avoid. Oh well. Guess I get to do it the way I want with the tanks instead of being stuck with what's there.

Is the rock in there Okay? If I scrub it well it should be fine in the cleaned tank right?

After several lengthy discussions with my husband about it, my plan is to just clean the tank as best I can. Because the tanks aren't actually mine, they are in the classroom I teach in and the previous instructor is "absent" due to a legal issue but could come back or decide he wants the tanks back, I don't want to drop a bunch of money into the tank. Here are my thoughts:

1. Rip everything out and scrub it like a crazy. I am planning on moving the snails into the big salt tank during the cleaning. When I take out and scrub the rock, do I need to keep it in saltwater or can I just do that in the sink?

2. Take out all the sand and rinse it really really well.

3. Remove all those parasitic anemone things from the glass and filters and change the filter. I found a powerhead in one of the cabinets so I'm planning on adding that on too. I know HOBs are probably not the best for salt tanks, but it's what I've got at this point.

4. Put the rock back in and add some of the rock from the big tank to it. This should be okay right?

5. Let everything cycle for ? amount of time.

6. Add fish and/or inverts. I was thinking of putting the fish from the big tank into this one. Until I know if the tank will be mine for good, at which point I'll get fish I actually want.

In the big tank there are:
2 yellow tail blue damsels
1 three striped damsel
1 six line wrasse
1 clown fish no idea what type. Pic is of him

Could any of these go in the 29 gallon?

I guess in the end I'll be doing a FOWLR tank. Is there anything else I should know/do? Thanks for your help.

Attachments

• 1394835521232.jpg
    1394835521232.jpg
    126 KB · Views: 122
Rinsing the rock off with fresh water will kill most everything on it (except the aptasia unfortunately). If you aren't adding corals, there's no need to worry much about the aptasia. They are too small to eat fish. you could also try adding a couple peppermint shrimp. In many cases they eat aptasia. you said you wanted some inverts anyway.

As for the sand, if you plan to rinse it out and re-use it, I would wait a few weeks and test for ammonia before reintroducing livestock.

Those damsels can be very aggressive. I would watch them carefully if you decide to use them in the 29. Also, they are very hard to catch, and I always tell folks to not add any fish to their tanks they aren't absolutely in love with. Why don't you just use the bigger tank and skip the 29 completely?

What kind of power head did you find? Post a picture of it and read any info off of it.

I'll post a pic of the power head once I get back up to the school. I'm not doing the big tank because the teacher who it belongs to made it VERY clear that it was his tank and he would be taking it if he is asked to resign. I just don't want to put all the time and money into it for him to come back and take it. That and I've NEVER done saltwater. The big tank is just overwhelming.

So I've been looking at tanks and fish online and I think I may want to do a reef tank. I'm just not drawn to the empty/stark look of just the rock. But I am still really in the research stage.

The light on there is a 30 inch coralife T5 HO Dual, so that should be good for a reef tank. The HOB filter is a Marineland Emperor 280. Would this be okay? There are a few other HOBs floating around the room I could add to it if that would be needed. After looking at pics online, I'm 95% sure the power head I found is a Marineland 660R. I'll check for sure when I go back to the school. What else would I need for actual equipment if I want to go reef?

Is that bad or just limiting?

Sounds good. Do I need to change the lights and power head now or if/when I do coals?

*corals

Sweet. Is there a certain order I should put stuff back into the tank? If I scrub the rock that's in there now in fresh water will it kill off the algae? I want the algae to stay but to get rid of the aptasia.

You can take a lighter or torch to kill aiptasia with the rock out of the tank (oddly satisfying)

Back
Top Bottom