Tank advice

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

kav

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Great site. I've finally decided to try a SW tank. I should say I am a total newb and have not previously had an aquarium. My goal is to have live rock with corals and fish.

At at the very early stages of equipment selection.
Because of the heavy setup costs of this sort of system I'm looking at some used tanks and wanted to get some input.

These are the two tanks I've found. I really like the look of the larger tank but am worried about a tank of this size (increased cost to stock and maybe maintain).

Here are the details: (description from ads themselves)

Tank 1: $1000
125 Gallon (60"Wx24"Hx18"D) with stand made of real coral (custom build).
Comes equipped with filters, gravel, fixtures, light, etc.
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/091118/055r2/17011h9_20.jpeg

Tank 2: $800
72 Gallon Oceanic Systems 72 Gallon Aquarium
1 - “Faux” Stainless Steel Top And Sides
1 - Includes Aqueon 200 Watt Heater-

1 - 36” All Glass Aquarium Inc Dual Fluorescent Light Hood
1 - Eheim Professional 2 Canister Filter System
1 -Automated Light Timer
1 -Lifeguard Digital Water Thermometer
1- Rena Air Pump System
1- 4 Way Air Valve
1- 20’ Cleaning Vacuum, Pipe Cleaners, Etc.
1- All Remaining Food, Chemicals, Test Kit, Filter Materials Etc.
1- All Rocks, Gravel, Decorations
1- All Current Fish
- (3) Silver Dollars
- (3) Red Jack Dempsey Fish
- (1) Gold Barb
- (1) Yellow Caeruleus Chichlidae
http://img1.classistatic.com/cps/kj/091123/231r3/4665lkk_20.jpeg

Welcome to AA :) Just curious, but where are you looking at these tanks? If youre wanting to buy used (all my tanks are), i would suggest checking craigslist. Both those tanks are very expensive imo. I bought my 150g for $225 with almost everything i needed. You may want to shop around a bit more ;). Also, in sw, bigger is better actually. There will be a bit more initial setup cost, but as ive heard several times, dillution is the solution for polution... meaning more water volume is better as the water parameters wont shift quite as easily and gives you more of a chance to correct some problems :)

The tanks I'm looking at on kijiji locally. I know they are more expensive but I was looking for a tank that would look good in my living room. A lot of the stands I've seen look wrong for my space. I guess this is why I'm stuck paying more.

In terms of size. I just wasn't sure if 125G was a little too big for me as a novice. I've read that larger tanks are easier to keep stable but I'm worried about the amount live rock, filters, etc that I'll need for this larger tank. Not to mention the physical space. I do like the look of the custom tank though.

Remember that with a SW system for corals your LIGHTS and your SKIMMER are the two most important items and I don't see a skimmer in any of those.
Do a search on this site and read up on setting up a SW tank.
1) corals need lots of light
2) skimmer removes DOS from your tank before it breaks down and polutes you tank.

Last edited:
I realized that those listed tanks don't have skimmers or lights. They are both used for FW setups now. I figured I'd have to buy those parts seperately.

I realized that those listed tanks don't have skimmers or lights. They are both used for FW setups now. I figured I'd have to buy those parts seperately.
Yes I know that they look like FW setups. So you would be getting stuff that you can't use in a SW setup + what are you going to do with the fish?:D

In terms of size. I just wasn't sure if 125G was a little too big for me as a novice. I've read that larger tanks are easier to keep stable

The bigger the better for anyone. More water volume is more forgiving.

Here is another ad I came across, seems expensive but includes most of what I'll need. Some of the stuff looks poorly maintained though.

Price $2000
150 gallon tank w/starfire glass (24x24x5')
90 gallon tank (sump) (24x24x48 )
Ocean Runner Skimmer (aquamedic ocean runner OR3500)
Calcium Reactor (good for 500 gallon tank)
Coral View Metal Hal-Lights (2-250's)
T 5's (2) w/deflector
Live Rock (approx. 200 pounds)
Power Heads; pumps; heaters; test kit; salt; mixing tank w/float and pump; extra skimmer; plus more

I am a little overwhelmed by all the options. I like the idea of the larger tank but it is much more than I had planned on and will need a sump setup and a new base. I have come across one more option:

$800
90 gallon tank and black double door cabinet
Dual CoralLife 150W light
300 Watt heater
50 pounds of live fiji rock
3" sand on the bottom of the tank
Filter/Skimmer/autofiller
Hydrometer
Water test Kit

Your last options seems to be the most flexable and a pretty good deal. What type of lights are the dual 150? compacts I would think. Depending on the livestock you plan to keep these may be okay or you may have to go with 1 more set of dual 150's or go to t-5's,

Back
Top Bottom