Tank covering

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

dmolavi

Aquarium Advice Addict
I've seen a few posts around on other fora that "sealing" the top of a SW tank is not recommended, as it can cause the pH to swing. I have a glass top on my large FW tank and the pH is rock solid with no deviation. Are SW tanks more susceptible to pH swings? I would think that the glass top would help limit evaporation, which for my 20G setup, should be kept to a minimum...

You do not want a glass top on the tank. There is alot more that goes on in a SW tank then a FW tank. Gas needs to be exchanged from the water to the air and cannot do so If the tank is sealed. If the tank has a sump some people think its ok. Personally I have never put a lid on a SW tank and never will. If you want to cover it build a canopy. It also will effect more then just your PH it will begin to poison you water.

I have never used a lid either. Evaporation is better to deal with than parameter issues IMO.
Just rig up a simple automatic top off.

wowza..didn't realize it was that big an issue...glad i'm getting these things sorted out ahead of time :) thanks for all the info.

Back
Top Bottom