Tank cycled in 2.5 weeks?

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

amyd619

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is it possible for a tank to completely cycle in 2 and a half weeks? It's a 36g tank with live sand, 36lb of live rock with plants growing on them. Also have few turbo snails, white legged hermit crabs, peppermint shrimp and a damselfish (only been in tank for 4 days). My ammonia, nitrates, and nitrites are all 0 and spiked a little last week. My PH is 8.0. Think it's safe to add more fish besides the damsel?

I'd give it some time to see how your parameters pan out.
Was the damsel your fish in cycle fish? Either way they are a holy terror and I'd personally get rid of it due to their aggressive nature.
I'd still give it a couple more days of watching your parameters to make sure they are steady before adding another fish.

did you start the tank with rock or filter media that was already cycled?
I have had tanks cycle that fast, but only when started with a very healthy dose of seeded media.
but even then you will want to add new stock slowly over time to allow the bacteria colonies time to adjust.

This is my first tank so I'm not sure if the rock was cycled or not but I think so because it had a bunch of stuff growing on it when I got it.

The guy at the LFS said my tank was probably ready for fish but the damsel would help it even further. It wasn't until after I got it home that I read up on them and found out how aggressive they were. And of course mine is a tuxedo damsel and they seem even worse. Do most LFS let you return fish? How does that work?

If you haven't done a water change it is kinda weird for the nitrates to be 0ppm. Usually the result of the cycle is high nitrates....

Back
Top Bottom