tank cycling

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Mercury64

Aquarium Advice Regular
I recently upgraded my tank to a wet and dry filter system with a sump, I have a 125 gal tank ,lots and lots of live rock
My nitrites and ammonia are up to about .50 ever since the new filter which has been on about three weeks now
I did have emporer hang on filters, a total of three even though two did the job I figured my filteration is better
Anyway I removed the first two filters after a week ,another week later I took the other filter off ,I was thinking of leaving them longer but for two reasons I thought it did not matter ,one reason being I have about 100 to 125 lbs of live rock and a nice sand bed thats been up and running for about two years also even with the old filters on there I was able to see ammonia and nitrites starting to rise when I added the new filter so I figured doesnt matter if I leave them on or not at this point
its now going on the fourth week, I did a 12 gal water change last weekend to see if that would help, has not changed a think ,both stuck at .5, anything I can do?
I have been added some chemical (prime) every three or four days to detox the nitrites and ammonia for the fish ,by the way fish are ok ,just want my tank to return back to normal

because of all the filters you had, the live rock and sand wouldn't have as much bacteria as you would think because the filter was taking away all the "food". your going to have to let it cycle for a bit. but i wouldn't think that it would take so long. just give it time.

Back
Top Bottom