tank cycling question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Raker333

Aquarium Advice Activist
I do not want to rush into filling my tank only to find out later that it never cycled completed and level are a mess to keep in check.

Having said that, I have seen many people in this forum choose sides on
"No-Fish" cycling and Hardy species/Shrimp cycling.

I was planning on doing a staged approach and want you guys/gals input on it...

Stage 1 would be no fish for 2-3 weeks. monitor levels
Stage 2 Would be Shrimp or cleaning crew type species another 2 weeks
Stage 3 would be Dams/Clowns (2-3 total fish either species)

Then run it for about 4-5 months like that. And progress to inverts for existing fish.

Feel free to flame...:)
:lol:

You could also run your cycle with uncured live rock. As far as the damsels, they get nasty over time. They can be real aggressive. That's just food for thought if you decide to later add nicer fish. You will have to catch the damsel of you want it out, and I know from experience it's not fun or easy.

Not reccomended ! You do any live fish and inverts a diservice. Dont put them through sewer conditions. I know that if it was you , you would not like to go through it. Either use a piece of shrimp or cure with live rock as previously suggested. This is a tried and tested solution and exposes aquaria lives to little or no harm.

melosu58 said:
Not reccomended ! You do any live fish and inverts a diservice. Dont put them through sewer conditions. I know that if it was you , you would not like to go through it. Either use a piece of shrimp or cure with live rock as previously suggested. This is a tried and tested solution and exposes aquaria lives to little or no harm.
ahhhh
So live rock it is then1 :lol:
I am going to buy some online now from fishsupply.com (from the general discussion threads)

A single shrimp in addition to the live rock will be good to cycle?
I will add an additional 2 weeks for the new rock also...
So totaling about 6 weeks before I put any fish in?

Thanks again for the input.

Back
Top Bottom