tank damaged in move

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Criptix

Aquarium Advice Freak
I moved recently and a pane of my tank, near the middle, was cracked in the move.Fortunately,I haven't got fish yet but I had a few questions.First question,what types of damage cannot be repaired? The tank looks to have only suffered a cracked pane on one side(I will post pictures once my hubby gets home.We put the tank in the back seat of the car.). Related question, repair pane vs. new aquarium which would be less expensive? Question 2 my hubby said we could just get a bigger tank I just bought a new stand that is 36 X 18 what is the maximum size tank i can get? i have seen combos where the stand is about an inch longer and wider than the tank and tanks and aquariums that are the same width and length.I have also looked up tank dimensions and noticed that the tank width and length are the same and the height is the only difference.Any opinions and suggestions would be greatly appreciated.I am anxious to get started again and be able to get some fish.Thank you!

Have a Petsmart no Petco...I did go online and Petco was still less expensive.The only trouble now is no money but I have 5 buckets full of saltwater and rock.How long can i keep the rock in the buckets of saltwater before it does more harm than good?

There isn't anything alive in the buckets? Just set the rock and water aside until you can address the issue with a new tank. I'd use the water it is in to scrub the rocks good and just use it as a way to start off fresh...or upgrade...by cycling the tank.

No nothing is alive in the buckets.I just have the rock for my dt and sponge filters for my qt.So, am I to understand that the water won't go bad?

Probably easier to get a new tank, someone posted above about a 55g. I would avoid a 55 the 12 inch front to back dimension sucks, better off with a 75 if you go for a 4 footer.

Acrylic is lighter, easier to drill for plumbing and more optically neutral. The big disadvantage with acrylic is it's far easier to scratch. However, and empty acrylic tank can be polished to remove most scratches. Acrylic generally costs significantly more as well.

Regarding the stand you have, a 40 breeder would fit on it and are available from PetCo for $40 right now. Replacing a smaller tank is cheaper than repair.

Back
Top Bottom