Tank Lids

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Petey

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Whats the general agreement on a lid for your aquarium. When I ran my FW, it always had a lid. As i was looking at some of the tank photos I noticed that alot of SW tank's don't have lids? Is there some reasioning to this, lighting issues perhaps? Does this not create a large increase i the amount of evaporation from the tank?

Am I the only one that likes to use a lid, I think it looks better, and completes the tank.

Thanks for your advice, I'm starting to get this SW thing figured out. I Can't wait to get my first critters and turn this water and rock into a tank!

I run a glass lid on my SW tank, evaporation would be hellish for me otherwise [ Without a lid, I loose a half a gallon or more a day.

Most don't run hoods, I think, because they run high powered lights and the lids require almost constant cleaning to keep them 100% clear.

I do not use a glass hood on my tank. This allows for better gas exchange and better light penetration to my corals. I top-off 1.5-2 gals every other day from evaporation.

Not sure. that is just an average. I would imagine it is between 40-50%.

Like lando said, running without the glass promotes better gas exchange. Many times when someone is having a PH drop, I suggest replacing all or some of their glass with eggcrate. immediate improvement is usually noticed.

I replace 4 gallons a day in my 175, no lid, metal halides. Except for the 55 gallon reeftank, all the other tanks have lids, mostly because of escape artist fish, or jumpers.
I prefer the no lid method, less cleaning of salt creep.

Back
Top Bottom