tank not level

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Red44

Aquarium Advice Freak
Hi i set up my tank yesterday and I didn't notice until it was full of saltwater, and the water was higher on one then the other about 1/4 in, so I hammered a shime under the stand and now it's about 3/16 in is that alright or should I put another shime under the stand I also checked the level of the stand and tank it was level but the room wasn't

The tank really should be level but if it is off just a hair it won't hurt it. My house was built in 1952 and the floors are, well, less than level. I don't think any of my tanks have ever been 100% level but they are not off enough to put too much pressure on one side or one end that would cause a failure. Maybe one more shim though...try and get it to no more than an 1/8.

Ya I might try to put another shime under the only reason I'm not sure is it says it's level the tank and stand

ya, out house was built in 1908.... When I moved in I was amazed at how far my tank was off!!! luckily we have a mini wood shop in the basement and we were able to build huge "wedges" for lack of a better word for each of my tanks that leveled the floor and yet had continous contact so there was no chance of bowing from a shim on one side.

I'm kind of confused on what to do cause when I first shined it the stand and tank was level but the water was still a bit lower than the other side. (I was thinking it was just the sand because one had 5" and the other side 2 untill I spreaded out )lol

Hey..that's "my" trick! I always figured if I put the heavier items in the back of the tank (my level tends to be off front to back rather than side-to-side) then it would "naturally" level everything out :)

are you sure the trim on your tank just isn't off a bit to give it he appearance that its not level.

PS: water doesn't work like that, if there is more sand on one side or another, water always wants to be even and will always be level, thats why a hand levels use water with a bubble in it, and why alot of good laser levels have the plumb bob in water, they float and stay true and shoot a level beap where you want it.

Hey maybe it is I think I might just leave it for now you can't really notice it anyway thxs but I'll check to see if it's the trim

Back
Top Bottom