Tank size / dimensions / cost / blah, blah, blah

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

SkinnyPete

Aquarium Advice Freak
Anyone know the dimensions of an 80 gallon tank? I see them listed as 48x18x21 – but those are also the same dimensions as a 75 gallon tank. I know it’s only a 5 gallon difference, so maybe there is a half inch differential somewhere in those measurements?

One other question – trying to decide between an 80, 90, or 120 gallon tank (still). I have the room for up to 120 but I have a chance to buy a really nice used 80 with all the fixin's for a real good price. I’m assuming everything I need for an 80, I would also need for a 120 and for the most part all the same equipment could be used. The larger cost would be more lr and the actual tank and stand – yes?

Thanks once again, all.

- Pete……Skinny Pete

All tank sizes are different... my 60, if you do the math, comes out to 56 gallons, but isn't as tall as a traditional 55, but is alot wider. MUCH better for lighting, and for the fish as well. A 75 or 80 isn't a big difference, may just be an inch taller. Big thing is that it's 4 feet long... nice standard size.

A 120 will require more lighting, if it's considerably taller. More salt will be needed, more LR, more substrate, and possibly more heating... if not an extra powerhead. A stand would be similar price (outrageous nonetheless from a LFS if not your own DIY). As for equipment, I would purchase (if possible) the equipment needed for a 120, and take the 80 gallon if it's in nice shape. If you decide on the 120, or choose to upgrade later, you won't have to upgrade the equipment.

Yeah 80 is in good shape. Drilled bottom with plumbing and sump plus skimmer included. Probably pull the trigger if its still available.

Thanks for the advice.

80's can come in different configurations. For example I have an 80L or long tank. The tank is 6' long where as the 80 you talk about is only 4' long. How can mine be 2' longer? Well its not as deep front to back as yours. IMO I would prefer an 80 gal tank that is deeper than one that is longer.

When your talking about a 48X24" surface area adding an extra inch to the tank can increase the tanks capacity by a few gal. For example if you take a tank thats 48x24x18 you will have a 90 gal tank. A 120 gal tank would be 48x24x24. The only difference is the 120 is 6" taller. Your tank above is 48X18X21 equates to 78 gal. This means the tank is lightly narrower and a little taller than a 90 or slightly shorter and slightly narrower than a 90. All my dimensions are WXDXH. Where Depth is the distance front to back.

Back
Top Bottom