Tank size help needed...

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

nicolea

Aquarium Advice Activist
Can anyone tell me how to measure and calculate a bowfront tank to find out the volume (gallons)?
I bought a tank and was told it was a 50 gallon. I'm not sure it actually is and I just dumped enough salt in for a 50g.

For all us lazy people who don't want to do math there are handy online water volume calculators! I just googled this and tested it by entering my dimensions (tank is rectangular) to see if it works and it does. There are hundreds of water volume calculating websites for bowfronts..this is just one I found. Aquarium System Volume Calculator Is it really 50?

46s are 36" and the next size up are 72s which are 48"

Ok I got 36 gallons on one site, and 40 gallons on that site you posted. Which I think is accurate because it factored in the two different widths of the bow shape..

The measurements of the tank are...

Length- 30.5
Width- 16.5*
Height- 21
Side- 11

* Widest part of tank, front of bow.

Is it a corner or a rectangle with the front glass bowed because the next size down would be the 36 and that sounds correct

Rectangle. So it's a 36?!

I just put in enough salt for a 50 gallon :/
Yup got scammed by a 15 year old. Paid $150 for it. Just the tank!!!!!!!!

Medic193 said:
Rectangle. So it's a 36?!

I just put in enough salt for a 50 gallon :/
Yup got scammed by a 15 year old. Paid $150 for it. Just the tank!!!!!!!!

Ouch! Ya I try not to pay more then $1 a gallon for tank $2 if its tank and stand

Ya I thought it was a great deal at the time bc the size couldn't be any more perfect for my room. So this tank has dbl the salt do I just empty half the tank and fill again?
How long does it cycle for ? And what's the purpose?
Is it just letting the water run through the filter?

You can remove some water and ad some Ro/Di water back in to lower the salinity. Do you have a refractometer or hydrometer? The cycle is to build up a colony of BB (beneficial bacteria) to convert the waste in your tank through the nitrogen cycle

Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels b/c I bought a "90 gallon" off of some guy from Craigslist. Months later, after I had gotten all the equipment, lighting, sand and rock for a 90 gallon I decided to calculate it and it turned out to be 70! I was pretty disappointed, but figured I have more filtration, lighting and such which is better. I don't think I got scammed, I don't think the person selling it even knew how many gallons it was b/c of the weird dimensions!

Mrc8858 said:
You can remove some water and ad some Ro/Di water back in to lower the salinity. Do you have a refractometer or hydrometer? The cycle is to build up a colony of BB (beneficial bacteria) to convert the waste in your tank through the nitrogen cycle

Is distilled water same as Ro/di?

I bought Instant ocean hydrometer.

Petsmart sells a bottle of this stuff that says it has bacteria in it and makes tanks instantly safe. I would never trust it ... Not with the price of sw fish lol just curious on others opinions or experience with it.

obscurereef said:
Sorry to hear that. I know how it feels b/c I bought a "90 gallon" off of some guy from Craigslist. Months later, after I had gotten all the equipment, lighting, sand and rock for a 90 gallon I decided to calculate it and it turned out to be 70! I was pretty disappointed, but figured I have more filtration, lighting and such which is better. I don't think I got scammed, I don't think the person selling it even knew how many gallons it was b/c of the weird dimensions!

Ya I'm totally in that boat now! I have one huge filter I guess it's better than 2! I don't think this kid had any idea either ... I love this size. Any bigger and I'd have to give up a dresser or desk lol I hope things go a bit smoother for me here on out. So happy I found this app.

Great that you love AA, I do too :D. Distilled water is pretty much RO water. Deionized water is not safe to drink. So it will have more TDS whereas RODI has or should have 0. The TDS can feed hair algae. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend getting one. Doubt you want to be lugging 40 gallons to make the water from the store to your house, then 5 gallons or so every week for water changes. Plus you know exactly what's in going into your aquarium..pure water and nothing else! One thing though is that for every gallon of RODI water made, there is 4 gallons of waste water. You can hook it up to your washing machine or lawn to save water and money. That Petsmart water is prob. just RO water and what's with that "magical bacteria"? I bet it's a lot more expensive b/c it's "special water for aquariums". :nono: They don't even sell SW fish (just saying).

obscurereef said:
Great that you love AA, I do too :D. Distilled water is pretty much RO water. Deionized water is not safe to drink. So it will have more TDS whereas RODI has or should have 0. The TDS can feed hair algae. If you can afford it, I'd highly recommend getting one. Doubt you want to be lugging 40 gallons to make the water from the store to your house, then 5 gallons or so every week for water changes. Plus you know exactly what's in going into your aquarium..pure water and nothing else! One thing though is that for every gallon of RODI water made, there is 4 gallons of waste water. You can hook it up to your washing machine or lawn to save water and money. That Petsmart water is prob. just RO water and what's with that "magical bacteria"? I bet it's a lot more expensive b/c it's "special water for aquariums". :nono: They don't even sell SW fish (just saying).

What kind of gear will get me Ro/di water?

A Ro/Di unit. Check out bulkreefsupply.com members on this site hold group buys which I've been apart of myself where you will get an additional 15% off many products with free shipping over I think $200

Back
Top Bottom