tank switch

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

YouEnvyMySin

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I just got a bigger tank that I want to use for my saltwater, any advice on how to do a tank change without killing everything in the tank?...or should I just replace my freshwater one with the bigger one and save myself the hassle?...thanks

Is the new tank going to go in the same spot as teh old tank? If so that kind of makes things a little more complex but can still be done with out to much problem.

What size is the old tank and what size is the new? I will use this as a frame of reference in suggesting a procedure.

not exactly positive on the placement of the new tank...because the old tank is a 30gallon high and the new one is a 35gallon long, so I dunno if it'll work where I have the tank now...

I am also curious about how one would go about this. Assume that placement is not an issue and the new tank is about twice the size of the old tank. Hopefully I'll be doing this soon. ;)

Sorry, Your post got lost in the fray and i have been busy at work and forgot all about this post.

If the tank is going to be in a different spot then set the new tank up in its position and make sure its level and ready for water. Since the tank is not much larger than the inital tank you wont need to mix up much new water but you should mix up the new water first and put it in a storage container like a rubbermaide trashcan.

If your going to use everything the exact same including your substrate then you will need a temporary place to put your live rocks while you scoop out the substrate and transfer it to the new tank. If you have ever thought about changing to a different type of substrate now is the time to do it.

I like to use rubermaid trashcans or the rubermaid storage bins for storage of rocks and water when doing such a move like this.

Transfer the substrate, live rock and equipment to the new tank. Then transfer the water and fish from the old setup to the new setup. Fill the tank with the new water that you have prepaird.

If you where putting the tank in the exact same spot it would be more work as you wouldhave to tear down completly the old tank and remove it before you could put the new tank in its place and level it.

...nobody?...
things sometimes slip down the list before they get answered. Bumping it back to the top like this helps refresh it :eek:)

switching tanks can be tricky. Everything in the tank can be moved without too much trouble with the exception of the substrate. You are going from one tank to another which certainly will make this a little bit easier. Start off by getting yourself a few rubbermaid tubs. Enough to hold all the water and rock from your tank. depending on whats in the tank you may want one for rocks one for corals/anenmoes etc. some corals/anenomes will attack each other if placed too close, keep that in mind.

you should have a QT tank so get that set up with water from the tank. Net your fish and place them in there.

fill your rubbermaid tubs with water from the tank and pull out your corals/anenmoes. Then pull out your LR into a seperate container (you dont want to crush your critters with the LR)

now is where it gets tricky and I hope others make some suggestions on this step as well.

try and drain as much of the water from the tank into the tubs as possible. Start scooping out the substrate from your old tank and move it to your new tank. Place your LR in the tank. use either a plate or bowl and set it on top of the substrate in the new tank once it is all in the new tank. Start returning your water to the tank by pouring it slowly onto the plate. then return your corals/anenomes and lastly your fish. Consider leaving 5 gallons or so of water in the tubs and replacing it with fresh salt water (as a water change)

my only concern is how much damage this would do to your DSB. Anyone have any thoughts on that?

my only concern is how much damage this would do to your DSB

IMO there is not much you can do to prevent the lower oxygen reduced areas from getting oxygenated to some extent when you move the sand bed.

pretty much the only things i did different than the above is i soaked pantyhose with sand in them in the old system and did about a 25-30 percent water change 2 days before saving that water and using it also i was afraid of starting a new cycle because i changed out all my old substrate and was going larger i also put old filters and sponges in the sump to help with that also...hth

fishfreek said:
my only concern is how much damage this would do to your DSB

IMO there is not much you can do to prevent the lower oxygen reduced areas from getting oxygenated to some extent when you move the sand bed.
so then he can probably expect a slight spike in nitrates shortly after the move

Back
Top Bottom