tank temp and its effect on cycle

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

Agnate80700

Aquarium Advice Freak
So my 150 is cycling (sort of... I got shipped a wrong order of fiji LR when I actually ordered tonga shelf, so the shelf will go in when I recieve it tomorrow)

The house its in wont be occupied by me and my room mate until a month from now so the AC isnt on, and today I checked the tank temp and with everything running the temp was pushing 86. I threw the AC on (i know when it is on, tank temp is down around 81) but I got to thinking... is there really any point? There isnt anything really living in the tank other than bacteria, but does the LR bacteria care about a few degrees warmer? Obviously fish/coral/critters would. Perhaps the cycle process might even happen faster with elevated temperatures?

Should I save myself the AC and leave it off, or would that possible harm the cycle process.

I'd leave it off, the bacteria will be fine. :)

"Bacteria" do thrive in warmer climates, however I'm unsure if your tank would cycle faster with the tank temp higher. If it did, I imagine it'd be a negligible amount of time, I could be wrong though.

Wouldn't it be awesome it your tank cycles in a day? ;)

That would be kinda nice I guess, but in my case it really wouldnt matter... I'm not gonna put anything I "really" need to take care of in until I move in and I can monitor it more than once every 2 days or so heh.

But I think i'll be turning a/c off :) thanks for the input

If I remember correctly bacteria does fine in temps from 60-90 and anything cooler/warmer slows them down but doesn't stop the process until it's at the extreme. I agree that leaving it off shouldn't harm anything.

If you are really worried, you could set up a fan that blows over the tank's surface. I use one on my 125 that is set up on my lighting timer. I dropped the temp from 82 to 76-77.

I would suggest the fan as well. My only problem with the temps would be a build up of temps. Keep a close check out on the temps. If they start to get higher I would do the fan for sure.

I will likely employ a fan once multi-celled organisms are added, but for now I guess I dont really care as long as the cycle continues uninterrupted.

Thing is... how do you use a fan and keep the canopy on? I guess I would think the air would just kinda be blowing around inside and not really exiting the area. Or will that do the trick anyway?

Back
Top Bottom