Tank temperature

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.
depends on what you have in your tank. i would say that any where between 78 to 84 is perfect no hotter or colder.

ok well i would keep your tank at 80 the tangs and clown will love it the damsels will be fine they can handle anything

The most important thing about temperature is stability. The same temp all the time is the best temp. Just try to see where you can get it to stay stable. Mine stays 78 all the time. Night time, Daytime, Summer, or winter. When your temps bounce around is when you have serious problems. Jeff`s temps are OK but whatever it is keep it stable and you`ll be OK.

The most important thing about temperature is stability. The same temp all the time is the best temp. Just try to see where you can get it to stay stable. Mine stays 78 all the time. Night time, Daytime, Summer, or winter. When your temps bounce around is when you have serious problems. Jeff`s temps are OK but whatever it is keep it stable and you`ll be OK.
ok corse you want to keep it at one temp all the time night or day as to not cause problems. i was just giving basic temp guide lines to stay within

ok corse you want to keep it at one temp all the time night or day as to not cause problems. i was just giving basic temp guide lines to stay within

I understand that. I was not saying anything about your post. It`s all good.

While i do agree on the whole stability thing, i find it kind of hard to follow as far as temperatures go. If you're in the wild, you will see temperature fluctuations all the time, depending on the weather. If the sun isn't out, and it's raining over the ocean and there is a cool breeze, the water WILL be a lower temperature, while still staying warm though. If there isn't a cloud in the sky, and the sun is beating down on the ocean, the temperature is undoubtedly going to be higher then when there was no sun out. I mean.. these are all factors we don't really have to take in to consideration, since we make our tanks experience whatever type of weather we want.. but i think it's normal for your water temperature to vary between 78-82. At night, my water temp will go down to 79 and during the day, after my light has been on for a couple hours, it will rise to 81, but never raises any higher than that. Having stability in the tank is always a plus, but when it comes to temperature, as long as your within some sensible range i think you can be a little more lenient.

Just my thought on this subject.

A huge body of water does not change temp fast. If the sun is not shining or the wind blowing the water temp does not change at least not that fast. It would take weeks of air temp. changes to change the water temp because of the huge water volume. It changes very slowly. Also where we get most of our SW fish and corals the temps never change. It stays the same temp all the time all year long. Places like Hawaii and other tropical places rarely change.

BTW a 1 or two degree change is not that bad. You dont want it anymore than that.

Last edited:
Back
Top Bottom