Tank with painted back

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

ccCapt

SW 20 & Over Club
I have a chance to pick up another tank, but the front glass has some scratches on it and the back glass is factory painted. Has anyone ever removed or know of a way to remove the paint without scratching or messing up the glass? If I can get the paint off the back without scrathing it the tank may be worth getting.

What`s wrong with a painted back. Im getting ready to paint mine. I get tired of putting scenes behind my tank and salt creep finds away to get back there. With a painted back you wont have to worry about salt creep being seen on back glass.

I don't think he is saying there is something wrong with a painted back, he just wants to remove the paint from the good panel and turn the tank around so that the scratches is at the back

Omega is correct. Even tho I'm not crazy about the color it's painted...sort of teal blue, the front is pretty scratched and I want to use the good back side for the front.
My current tanks back glass is totally covered with coralline so painted, unpainted or paper background doesn't really matter to me since I can't see it anyway.

cccapt, If i were to try and do that i would use a both of paint thinner with a 4-6 inch wide razor blade. There are available at almost any hardware store. I would start to scrape and dip the razor in paint thinner just to make sure you get ALL of it off.

And to finish it off, a towel soaked in paint thinner and wipe it clean.

But there is just one problem IMO I think the thinner would do something to silicone as well wouldn't it?? I am not sure but if it can remove paint what will it do to the soft silicone.

This is just my opinion so please just find out before using anything otherwise you would have to replace the whole tank and not just the front panel.

If I were you I would take the tank into a glass shop and just get the front panel replaced, I just think it will be the safer bet.

Back
Top Bottom