Tell me about your Biocubes!

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

TinselFins

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I am hoping to start a saltwater reef tank and am leaning towards a 29g Biocube. I really like the way they look and they seem to be the perfect size. After reading some of the reviews on Amazon they have me a little nervous about there quality. So, tell me all about your Biocube tank. What do you like/dislike about them, did you change the lights or anything in them, would you buy one again if you had the choice, etc?

Over in the nano reefs section there is a section started by member Convict, who has the nicest biocube ever, it is called the BioCube information thread! I would check that out as it has been ultra helpful in my beginning a 29 gallon cube!

I would of course buy another one if I was on a limited budget like I am now, and if space was limited like I am now. If I had the money and space I'd go huge! but the cubes are awesome! Their are a ton of modifications you can make to your cube to make it more efficient. I'd say they are a great purchase, and like any saltwater aquarium, there are plenty of upgrades for lighting, depending on your cash flow, Im running my cube on stock lights for now and I think they will be sufficient for many types of coral, so again it all depends on your wallet!

As far as the 29g Biocube itself, I can't speak for it, but I'm sure Convict will be along.... he has one. I've got a 28g JBJ nano cube, and absolutely love it. One thing that must be kept in mind with a small reef is that, due to the lesser water volume, bad things can happen very fast.... good husbandry is absolutely essential. I've got an empty 150g in the basement which will one day be my main display tank, but I picked up the nano as a means to learn & hone my skills while I plan my set-up for the "big one".
As far as lighting, I don't know the choices available in the Biocube line, but I got mine with LED's. They also have compact fluorescent and metal halides, but I didn't want to have to worry about annual bulb changes and/or heat issues.

Mine at about 2 1/2 months old, and I already have noticeable growth showing, including my SPS.....

Attachments

• photo24.JPG
    photo24.JPG
    148 KB · Views: 113
Phranque said:
As far as the 29g Biocube itself, I can't speak for it, but I'm sure Convict will be along.... he has one. I've got a 28g JBJ nano cube, and absolutely love it. One thing that must be kept in mind with a small reef is that, due to the lesser water volume, bad things can happen very fast.... good husbandry is absolutely essential. I've got an empty 150g in the basement which will one day be my main display tank, but I picked up the nano as a means to learn & hone my skills while I plan my set-up for the "big one".
As far as lighting, I don't know the choices available in the Biocube line, but I got mine with LED's. They also have compact fluorescent and metal halides, but I didn't want to have to worry about annual bulb changes and/or heat issues.

Mine at 2 months old, and I'm already showing SPS growth.....

Wow your yellow polyps really jump out of that picture.. wish mine looked that nice lol

Wow your yellow polyps really jump out of that picture.. wish mine looked that nice lol

Thanks. Yeah, they really do pop under the LED's. Unfortunately, they also came with an aipstasia right in the middle that I didn't see when I bought it :facepalm:. The yellow polyps have such long tentacles that it just blended right in....

Phranque said:
Thanks. Yeah, they really do pop under the LED's. Unfortunately, they also came with an aipstasia right in the middle that I didn't see when I bought it :facepalm:. The yellow polyps have such long tentacles that it just blended right in....

Ya and it doesn't help they almost look like aipatsia themselves lol. I've actually had a few people on the forums be like "wow do you know you have a bad aiptasia outbreak?" Just to realize they are talking about my dull "yellow" polyps lmao

But back to tinselfins.. I highly reccomend reading though some of convict2161 threads. They should provide you with plenty of info and if not pm him. Dino would more then likely be glad to help a future BC owner :)

Over in the nano reefs section there is a section started by member Convict, who has the nicest biocube ever, it is called the BioCube information thread! I would check that out as it has been ultra helpful in my beginning a 29 gallon cube!

I would of course buy another one if I was on a limited budget like I am now, and if space was limited like I am now. If I had the money and space I'd go huge! but the cubes are awesome! Their are a ton of modifications you can make to your cube to make it more efficient. I'd say they are a great purchase, and like any saltwater aquarium, there are plenty of upgrades for lighting, depending on your cash flow, Im running my cube on stock lights for now and I think they will be sufficient for many types of coral, so again it all depends on your wallet!

I didn't see that thread! I will have to check it out.

So is a 29g too small to start out with?

Ya and it doesn't help they almost look like aipatsia themselves lol. I've actually had a few people on the forums be like "wow do you know you have a bad aiptasia outbreak?" Just to realize they are talking about my dull "yellow" polyps lmao

LMAO!!

When I saw them, my first thought was "wow, I bet that yellow really pops under the moonlights...." since every other coral with yellow just glows. Yeah, NOT.... they just disappear. I was so bummed, but at least they do look good during the day.

Sniperhank said:
29 is the largest a biocube goes to my knowledge...so I'd say it isn't too small. If I ever get a cube, it'll be the size I get.

Which brings up another good point. If you want an all in one system but want bigger redsea makes some nice tanks.. gboy66 and Nu-nu the eel have one which is beautiful with 0 mods I believe.

I've got the jbj 28 gallon as well but it's metal halides. Heat is an issue with these lights and I keep my hood open all the time to release heat. Other then that I LOVE the tank. Perfect size for maintence and just big enough to keep 4-5 fish. The one thing I like Better about it then the bio cube is I can see in the back. I think that was the deciding factor for me. It is now 7 months old and I never tire looking at it or playing in it. :)

Attachments

• image-1266868052.jpg
    image-1266868052.jpg
    138.4 KB · Views: 84
Thanks everyone for sharing your tanks! They all look amazing!

I went to the local fish store today to look at the bio cube again and looked at the fish. Now I want one of each of the fish. :D Might need to go with something bigger. :oops:

This should get your wheels spinning.

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/the-bio-cube-29-information-thread-221710.html

http://www.aquariumadvice.com/forums/f101/bc29-updated-pics-tank-is-9-months-old-225678.html

Updated picture

View attachment 124653

I used the photo studio app to help filter out the blues and royals

View attachment 124654

Also check my album out.

Any questions?

That thread is great! I will have to look through it more later.

A pic of my biocube. 2 1/2 weeks old two fire fish, one died 3 days after I got it. Checked my levels and all was good. Maybe it was just a sick fish? The other one is dong great.... When can I get my first coral?

Attachments

• image-699503666.jpg
    image-699503666.jpg
    162.8 KB · Views: 81
Did you notice any aggressive/dominating behavior between the two? Firefish are typically docile, but if they're not a mated pair, they can get aggressive towards each other, especially in the confines of a nano....

As far as corals, as long as your levels are all good, start adding some. I had a 3 corals in mine within a few days of my cycle completing.

I did notice the one being slightly dominating. The one that died just hid under the live rock the whole time, I don't know but the other one is swimming around like a champ. I've just been checking my levels at the lfs each week so I don't know what they are since the fish died but it was only a few hours and I got him out o there. Any thoughts of good first coral to get?

Back
Top Bottom