Temp VS MH lights

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

medican

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
Is there anyway to get away from tank temp rising while the MH are on.
How much of a rise in temp is ok......I have got 2-175W with 2-55W antic.
light sits about 7in off top of tank, one fan blowing across top of tank, no glass cover. Tank is raising about 1 full degree......
Is this ok ????
Anything more I can do ?????? :roll:

Mh lighting and canopy

Well i was just about to post a message like this one. Im haveing the same problem I have a canopy over my tank its total enclosed but the back of it.The tank is getting to warm with mh running. Its a 75 gallon tank with a 30 gallon sump. I have no fans in it yet.. my ph has been running a little low to(around 8.0). Which i think is caused by not enough not enough air exchange.( i was told this by other reefers on this site) I can send you a picture of the tank if you send me your e-mail address in a private message. Im looking for suggestions on what i should install for fans. And where to install .Should fans blow on lights or on water?? Should one fan bring in fresh air and the other blow it out?

I have two 250 watt 10k mh.And two 55 watt Atanics 03. I run my lights from 9am to 9pm. I also try to keep my tank temp around 83 degrees. With one mh running and the 55watt. My tank temp will rise to 85-86 degrees by 5 pm .But it does not go higher than that. Thats why i have only running one mh. I am looking for any sugestions

Thanks Dewey

Hello Dewey. Your problem with lights that powerful is definately lack of fans! Many of the larger online stores that sell lighting will sell fans expressly for the purpose of cooling your lights. I'm not sure how your lights are set up, but I have two fans on mine, one on each end. One blows air into the canopy, the other blows it out. The fans sit on a level where they are blowing air below the lights and above the water. Good luck on getting yours set up! HTH

Back
Top Bottom