Temperature Problem

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

errdivideby0

Aquarium Advice Activist
In the morning before my lights come on and after my tank has been sitting all night the temperature is 78F. After the lights have been on a while the temperature used to go up to 80 but now it is going up to 84! My lights don't have a stand they just sit on the top of my tank, could this be the problem?

yup, what type of lights do you have? and if you can, try to put like 6-8 inches between the tank and lights, you can try you lfs or petco etcetera for some legs for it or get some sheetrock screws and a couple pot hangers and suspend it over the tank but be sure the pot hanger screws are secure! if your running a heater turn it off

You can also try blowing a fan across your tank or sump

The light I have is a coralife with two 50/50 65W bulbs in it. When I'm out today I'll look at getting legs for it. As for a fan where I keep the tank there is a regular ceiling fan that blows right on it. Would you still recommend getting a fan across the top?

Depending on what you wanted to spend, you could invest in a chiller as well.

You have the lights in a canopy? 78 to 80 is not that much of a swing but if it`s swinging up to 84 all the time then that would be a pretty big swing.

Yea, the jump to 80 didn't bother me but when it jumped up to 84 I was freaking out hoping that my two little Clownfish weren't going to boil. It's weird, I had gotten the temperature thing worked out and it wasn't jumping at all until they came along.

Today I went to my LFS and bought a stand for my lights and now they're sitting about 4 - 6 inches above the water surface. So far the temperature is staying stable fluctuating a degree or two, but nothing as major as it was. I let you know how things are going later in the day, hopefully it stays this way!

Oh OK. Glad you found the stand. You should be OK and BTW 84 wont kill your fish. I know several folks that keep their water at 82-83. Fluctuating water temps will do more harm.

The jump would not be too kind to them. I`m just saying that a stable 82-84 would be better than a fluctuating 78-84.

Blowing a fan directly across the top of the tank would be worth a shot before buying a chiller.

So far the stand for the light seems to be doing the trick. If it spikes again I will try the fan before I result to a chiller, thank you for the help!

Greetings,

Per recommendations on AA, I use a fan on high setting and blow it at the sump when I go to work in the morning. I also open the top as well as any cabinet doors. So far the temperature is at 78.5 in the afternoon. It is amazing how air flow can help to control the temperature. It however evaporates the water much faster so I must keep an eye to prevent my water level from getting below operating level of the skimmer. DP

I agree. It does wonders but as you said evaporation is a problem. But it can easily be taken care of with top off water.

Back
Top Bottom