temperature question

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

jeffjets

Aquarium Advice Newbie
I have had my tank up for about 4 months now and it has been going great. When I started the tank it was cold outside so I had a thermometer and temp was not a huge deal. But now it is turning into the summer and the temp is starting to go over 80. As a result of this my tank has been increasing in temp. It was up to 86 last night, and I know it will only get hotter as the summer moves on till we put the AC in. Will my tank survive that high of a temp during the day? Will moving my lights higher off the tank make any noticeable difference? I have a Corallife Aqualight 200W for reference. I have had it just sitting right on top of the tank with no legs or hood.

Well air circulation would help a bit. Get a fan over there by the tank to get some moving. IMO id get the legs, they are only $5.

The best way to bring the temp down a couple degrees is with the use of fans. I bought 2 fans from walmart and hung them on the wall just above the waterline of my tank. This keeps the temps between 82-84, this is an acceptable number and easy to maintain for me.

Raising the lights a couple inches or more would indeed help, as air will be able to circulate more freely. Especially if you got some fans.

I had a lid and replaced my lights with a T5 set up, above tank. Not thinking about it, I didn't check the temp, and sure enough, it went down. I agree with the rest, fans and lift up your lights, and you should see an improvement.

Back
Top Bottom