Tenecor stand/canopy

The friendliest place on the web for anyone with an interest in aquariums or fish keeping!
If you have answers, please help by responding to the unanswered posts.

mojo

Aquarium Advice Apprentice
I don't yet have a tank but have done some serious online browsing and like the look of the Tenecor systems. I'm concerned, however, after reading countless threads on this site that as the tank evolves (addition of sump, fuge, lighting/fan fixtures, etc) a lot of DIY work will be required to alter the canopy, in particular. Does anyone know if the Tenecor stand/canopy (or any pre-fashioned combo) will accomodate a lot of alterations as the system grows?

I have a tenecor 225t and I love it. As for the stands and canopies, I think they limit what you can do as far as upgrades. My tank is built in to the wall so my stand is DIY. I would also build my own lighting canopy to leave room for more lights when you decide to go reef.

Does the fact that you would build your own lighting canopy imply that the one that comes with the stand is inadequate for a reef, or that it can't be modified/upgraded as needed? TIA

I wouldn't say it would be inadequate. I built mine for a couple of reasons.

Cost

I built it where the VHO are 3 to 4 inches above the water surface and the MH will be 8 to 10" above the water surface. Most of the hoods I have seen have all bulbs mounted in the same spot.

Hope this helps.

That helps, tmcpeek. Once again I show my true (green) colors, but is it that important to have different lights mounted at different heights? If so, then does anyone know if premade canopies are built so that they can be modified?

While I'm asking sophomoric questions, how do you quote a phrase from a thread into a reply?[/quote]

I keep my lights at different heights to keep the heat from the metal halides a bit further away from the water surface and also to prevent water from splashing on them and causing them to shatter. I guess if you have a shield on them they could be ok at the same height from the water.

When you want to select a quote. Highlight the text you want to quote and then click on the quote selected button and it will it to the quick reply text box. Hope this helps.

You may want to check out www.fishtankstore.com before you buy anything. The tanks are very similar, but they are a little cheaper and are made out of acrylic. You can order a standard reef tank, or one with built in wet/dry filtration. But of course everything boils down to what you are looking for in the long run.

Thanks for the reference and advice above. I've looked at several glass aquariums and one (Tenecor) acrylic aquarium. I'm impressed with the improved clarity of the acrylic, although it looks much harder to work in due to the lid/canopy's somewhat limited access. I'm probably going to get a tank measuring 60x24x24 inches, and do not plan on moving it (ever), nor do I live in an earthquake zone. For these reasons I'm leaning toward glass, and my only concern is the possibility of leakage. It's a tough choice for me but I'll have to commit to one or the other so that I can get my reef started. I know it comes down to personal preference, but does anyone feel strongly either way?

Back
Top Bottom